As already mentioned: Göschenen is the normal highway exit for St.Gotthard mountain pass road (and last exit before St.Gotthard road tunnel). The link consists of two single-track tunnels connecting Erstfeld (Uri) with Bodio (Ticino) and passing below Sedrun ( Graubünden ). One of the things you need to notice before replying to someone is the "age" of the thread - in fact your have tacked your answer onto a rather "stale" thread. more. ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-60204046', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');Airolo). The Gotthard Pass lies at the hearth of the Gotthard, an important north-south axis in Europe, and it is crossed by three major traffic tunnels, each being the world's longest at the time of their construction: the Gotthard Rail Tunnel (1882), the Gotthard Road Tunnel (1980) and the Gotthard Base Tunnel (2016). Amsteg at 16 km, Erstfeld at 23 km. When open I always use the pass road from Göschenen to Airolo, with a stop at Schöllenen, Andermatt or St.Gotthard. Crossing the San Gottardo pass is an adventure, no matter how you cross it. I suppose one is just a bit further from the tunnel entrance than the other? The pass will close sometime this autumn because of snow ands re o pen in the spring.o. Amsteg at 16 km, Erstfeld at 23 km. I hear there can be jams at the tunnel. Members who are knowledgeable about this destination and volunteer their time to answer travelers' questions. Gotthard Pass (to Airlolo) then - Val Bredretto (very very lovely!) The Tunnel was build to avoid to drive along the Gotthard Pass and have a quicker drive trough the Tunnel. From there drive over the Nufenen pass to the Val Bredretto (there is a café/restaurant at the top where you might have lunch and the view is breathtaking!) Please do tell me your field of expertise in the roadworks on the pass and I will defer to your greater knowledge. Traffic jams on weekends take easily 5-10 km, can be more - check road information the day you travel. Europe - Gotthard Base Tunnel - Hi, I'm planning to travel to Switzerland in May 2017, and was planning to travel from Lucerne to Milan to especially enjoy the scenic beauty en-route. And as such it has two entrances. Zermatt to St. Moritz, scenic train trips, general advice... GE - Zermatt to Chur vs Zermatt to St. Moritz. All those helpful hints that make a journey less stressful and more interesting. And scenic. Basel – Genoa via Great St. Bernhard pass 6 h 15 min 562 km . Wow what an incredibly rude reply. The tunnel, the longest and deepest of its kind in the world, offers yet another reason not to use the severe switchback roads of the Gotthard Pass high above it. ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-60110379', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');Andermatt. (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? The (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? Wassen is at 4.5 km from Göschenen. Which resort in saas fee open for skiing? The longest sleigh runs of the Swiss Alps, The Leading Hotels Of The World in Swiss Alps, Hotels near Zermatt-Matterhorn Ski Paradise, Hotels near Matterhorn Museum - Zermatlantis. I have never heard them broadcast in English. Waiting 1-2 hours or more is not unusual for more than 10km traffic jams. I expect to be arriving at the Gotthard Tunnel around 7 in the evening (19h00). What's the difference between the upper two cams? Switzerland, Gotthard Pass or Tunnel ? Circumventing the difficulties posed by an imposing mountain was an epic enterprise. If they say there is a traffic jam I would recommend to leave the motorway at Wassen and follow the blue signs to San Gottardo/Lugano. Or should I consider a detour like the GE pass for the evening as well? But in case the waiting time is longer than 40/60 minutes the use of the old Gotthard Passroad will be not only the better solution, but also an opportunity to see a spectacular view. Do you get trapped in traffic jams when leaving for the Pass? You WILL have crossed the highest pass in the country (Nufenen) and seen some magnificent scenery. This part will take about an hour if you stop to take photos. Not much difference really. Drive carefully and have a wonderful time. Do you get trapped in traffic jams when leaving for the Pass? Do you get trapped in traffic jams when leaving for the Pass? Thank you. Given the fact that Friday is already a (Swiss) holiday, one might indeed expect for a lot of traffic to pass already on Friday indeed. Or is it in German/French only? Main traffic jams in front of St.Gotthard road tunnel are on weekends in July and August (plus other vacation breaks such as Easter). Compare driving time via tunnel or via pass with route planners such as www.viamichelin.ch. Get answers to your questions about Swiss Alps. Do the webcams at http://www.gotthard-strassentunnel.ch/Webcams.149.0.html#c508 offer useful information? Is traffic just as bad then as during the day? ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-57030150', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');Andermatt might be a good place to stop (between Göschenen and St.Gotthard pass) or nearby Hospental. Related: What are the most popular tours in Swiss Alps? Göschenen to (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? I travelled over the pass on Saturday the 26th July and again Saturday 10th August. Traffic jams are expected at St.Gotthard tunnel South entrance this Saturday between 11 and Sunday 1h (Friday 10 to 23 h, Sunday from 11 to 21 h). Longer but very pretty and useful in case of jams before the tunnel and work on the pass. Should we go via the the Pass or Tunnel? Webcams on both entrances/exits so that you can see the traffic flow in and out of the tunnel. But we speak German, French and Italian so it makes no difference to us - husband and me). I guess what you're saying is that the Pass is an extra 20 minutes journey. Where exactly do you leave the A2 to take the Pass road? While the pass might take longer if there is no traffic in the tunnel it is also a much nicer way to cross the Alps, and cooler, with snow still around at the very top. Again, thank you so much for your time to answer! As a rough guide, allow 15 minutes to transit the St Gotthard road tunnel and one hour to use the St Gotthard Pass, so an increase to the journey time of 45 minutes or so. What is the journey time difference Tunnel vs Pass? One on the north (Göschenen) and one on the South ((ta && ta.queueForLoad ? Enjoy the detour, after all we spend most of our time thrashing down the motorways it is a nice change of pace and scenery. ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-60078533', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');Furka pass into the Valais and then the Nufenen into the Val Bedretto. The world's longest rail tunnel is set to be unveiled June 1 in the Gotthard Pass linking Switzerland's Italian-speaking Canton Ticino and the German-speaking Uri Canton. A brief history of the pass and the building of the tunnel itself, interjects our journey through the 9 mile long double track tunnel. Follow signs for the Furka Pass. Where is the exit for the Pass? The Gotthard Pass is known as the “people’s route”, a name that fittingly illustrates its function in the past, namely that of comfortable route for people but a less comfortable one for goods. Probably a silly question, but I'll ask it anyway: at this website: http://www.gotthard-strassentunnel.ch/Webcams.149.0.html#c508. This takes you an other 15 minutes more than the tunnel but it is better than to be blocked before you are at the Goeschenen the exit where you normally would need to leave for the pass road. Traffic jams on weekends take easily 5-10 km, can be more - … If I look at the webcams now (about 8h30 in the evening (20h30)), there seems to be virtually no traffic at the Gotthard tunnel! If you stop to visit the Furka Glacier (park at the kiosk after the Belvedere Hotel and walk in to the glacier) of course it will be correspondingly longer. Wassen is at 4.5 km from Göschenen. At least once a season, we like to skip the dark, long Gotthard tunnel that separates the German-speaking part of Switzerland with the Italian region and head over the mountain pass. In 1708 the road was improved considerably and in 1775 we find documentation of the first carriage crossing, realized by the English geologist Greville. is there usually adequate snow in first week of january? Once you get to Andermatt, you will have to take the direction to the right and drive till next small settlement called Hospental.Once you are there, you get an opportunity as well to drive to Furka Pass on the right, but you must take a more left direction.. Gotthard Pass road conditions are mostly very good (once it is opened, not closed), no worries at all. We will be travelling via St Gotthard in late July. Enjoy your trip! In just 20 minutes it gets you from Erstfeld, north of the Alps, to Bodio on the south side. ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-57022459', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');Airolo via the tunnel takes around 20 minutes, some 40 minutes via the pass road. Which resort in saas fee open for skiing? The best option is to follow the latest traffic jam news online and then decide once in Switzerland to go via the Gotthard tunnel or the San Bernardino Pass or to make a stop over to enjoy the beautiful scenery of the Swiss Alps. Turn your radio on and listen the traffic news. It may take a little longer (but not always) than waiting to go through the tunnel, but it is a whole lot more beautiful. Thread Tools Search this Thread Sep 12th, 2012, 02:53 AM #1 MAURICIOB. GE - Zermatt to Chur vs Zermatt to St. Moritz. Mark. Better don’t look on a map - the serpentine twists may turn you away from the plan to drive the Gotthard Pass and you would miss out on a very impressive alpine driving adventure. more. It will be in German. On approach to the St Gotthard road tunnel, there are signs for the St Gotthard Pass with indications as to whether the pass is open or closed. The new Gotthard base tunnel is the longest railway tunnel in the world, and is the epitome of Swiss precision, innovation and reliability. So maybe the tunnel is better. For public transport, there are two railway lines through different tunnels, and the postal bus through the pass road. Also - is the gotthard pass (rather than the tunnel) worth it for the extra time? Thank you Hambagahle! Summer drive through the swiss alps/Switzerland, Cost of snowboarding near Basel, or in Andermatt area. Ulrichen has some very lovely old barns and chalets in blackened wood right around the Nufenen Hotel, off the main road. ALL roadworks were suspended for those days so there were no delays over the pass at all and long delys at the tunnel. This discussion is not worth the time. Amsteg at 16 km, Erstfeld at 23 km. Reply Subscribe . Wassen is at 4.5 km from Göschenen. :). In your place I would listen to the radio, see what the jams are (how intense) and make a decision accordingly. Ian F, as you know better, just go ahead. Gotthard Tunnel. As we emerge on the German speaking northern side of the Gotthard Massif, the long ramp begins all over again, this time in a downward direction passing through many more spiral tunnels and avalanche shelters until reaching the terminus at Erstfeld. I hear there can be jams at the tunnel. As already mentioned: Göschenen is the normal highway exit for St.Gotthard mountain pass road (and last exit before St.Gotthard road tunnel). Photo: Swiss Travel System; ... traders from the Romans onwards had to trudge across the Alps via the Gotthard Pass. :-). Three public busses (Andermatt-Airolo) cross the pass daily during summer months. The Gotthard Base Tunnel (GBT) is a railway tunnel under construction in Switzerland. When the St. Gotthard tunnel is blocked because of too much traffic, then you can bypass via the historic Gotthard Pass (Passo del San Gottardo). On weekend check traffic information - Wassen exit might already be part of Saturday morning traffic jam. According to Pore there are no roadworks on the pass on the weekends. I'm also interesterd in the "longer but very pretty" alternative. Is that information also available in English? Almost 10,000 passengers and around 67,000 tonnes of freight pass through the 57-kilometre-long Gotthard Base Tunnel each day. The 57 km long Gotthard Rail Base Tunnel was completed in 2016. On the autobahn there will be a large sign giving the radio frequency to tune to to get up to the minute road reports on traffic. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu. Original Poster . to. Currently, we are counting 15 Saint Gotthard Pass traffic incidents. The Gotthard Railway tunnel opened in 1882 and dramatically reduced travel time through the Alps in this area. In 1882 trains traveled through the pass via the Wassen and the Gotthard Rail Tunnels. During the week usually not much of a problem, at least to my experience no reason for not leaving the highway using the relatively long Göschenen exit lane just before the tunnel. Join Date: Sep 2012. Pass is quite nice. We will be travelling via St Gotthard in late July. The Gotthard Road Tunnel in Switzerland runs from Göschenen in the canton of Uri at its northern portal, to Airolo in Ticino to the south, and is 16.9 kilometres in length below the St Gotthard Pass, a major pass … and down to Airolo. Apparently the works will be suspended over the summer weekends so hopefully it will be clear. Simple but with food. Swiss Touring Club recommendation for this weekend is still to avoid St.Gotthard area. Good news and thanks for telling us I am sure the views were lovely too. Where exactly do you leave the A2 to take the Pass road? St Gotthard Pass in the Swiss Alps - everything you would expect from such a road: tunnels, serpentine twists, turns and incredible scenery. Continue your visit to www.tripadvisor.com, Get answers to your questions about Swiss Alps. The Gotthard Pass lies in a crucial north-south axis in Europe, called Gotthard. I wonder/hope this will also be the case tomorrow evening. Crossing the Gotthard mountain massif via the alpine pass however is still the most scenic and adventurous experience and sometimes the best alternative to avoid traffic before the tunnel. After years of excavation (work began in 1999), Italy and Switzerland became closer neighbours thanks to this tunnel at the foot of the historic Gotthard Pass in the Alps. In fact Pore reported yesterday that there are road works on the Gotthard pass which might offset any delay in getting through the tunnel this summer. Tips about hiking in the high Alps available? The first road over the pass was opened in 1830. And if you are "counting cantons" you will have been in Uri, the Valais and the Ticino all in the space of a couple of hours! But I find it a bit narrow. Traffic seems to peak between 0800 and 1600 - this last Saturday the radio announced waiting time of 2 hours with jams of 12km going from north to south. However I have to admit that the Nufenen is not my favourite pass. Are Coocko clock still made in Switzerland or Germany? Thank you kindly for this (again) very usuful information, Hamba :). (Would be useful for tourists if they did and perhaps they do. What is the journey time difference Tunnel vs Pass? Each of the tunnels were considered to be the world's longest at the time of their construction. Gotthard Base Tunnel, Switzerland. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu. Hi, I cannot give details about exits etc. On the detour - provided that you do not mind alpine pass driving - this route should take you 1hr 45min: From Göschenen turn off the A2 up to (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? Members who are extremely knowledgeable about this destination and answer travellers’ questions frequently. It is crossed by three major traffic tunnels: the Gotthard Rail Tunnel, the Gotthard Road Tunnel and the Gotthard Base Tunnel. It stretches over 57 km, some 2,300 metres under rock. Next time I will have him drive me over it!! Thank you. How much of a detour are we talking here? but we have driven over the pass the last four years on an August Saturday morning as the tunnel traffic is always very bad. Thank you so much - tips such as leaving the road at Wassen are exactly what I'm looking for. A scenic route is following Lake Lucerne north and east shore, roughly from Küssnacht (am Rigi) to Brunnen to Flüelen (or even Altdorf for a place to stay). What is the journey time difference Tunnel vs Pass? So I guess it's worth the gamble. The road over the pass, the rail tunnel, the motorway tunnel and the Rail Base Tunnel link northern and southern Europe, and connect northern Switzerland with the Ticino vacation region. Find detailed information on our dedicated Saint Gotthard Pass road traffic page. Highly appreciated! Where should we leave the A2 road so you don't get caught in the tunnel traffic?? the road is fine - well made etc. "Gotthardtunnel Göschenen in Richtung Süd", "Gotthardtunnel (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? We will be travelling via St Gotthard in late July. Wich are the most scenic railway-routes in the Swiss alps? We have relied on out Tom Tom to guide us and never hit traffic so it must send us off at the right time. Or some other online resource? Wich are the most scenic railway-routes in the Swiss alps? JAMS ARE EVERY WEEKEND AND if you do go, make it very early otherwise expect jams of many kms. Should we go via the the Pass or Tunnel? This is a tunnel. This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in United Kingdom. ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-60192102', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');Airolo in Richtung Süd". But I'll listen to the radio for traffic info like you suggest. Nufenen Pass (to Ulrichen) BTW the Nufenen is not at all like the others. Traffic jams on weekends take easily 5-10 km, can be more - … Tandem Paragliding Experience from Interlaken, Glacier Express Panoramic Train Round Trip in one Day Private Tour from Luzern, www.andermatt.ch/en/essen-schlafen/Alle-Unterkuenfte, Base for hiking in Val d' Anniviers without a car, Veteranarian recommendation needed for Saas-Fee. Christmas/New Year's in France & Switzerland, Best mountain town summer - Zematt, Grindelwald or Villars. Tips about hiking in the high Alps available? Does my ViaMichelin trip to, from or through Saint Gotthard Pass take into account the traffic conditions in Saint Gotthard Pass? Where exactly do you leave the A2 to take the Pass road? "Pore" says that is silly and the road is fine! ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-60075368', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');Italy (Saronno (= just north of Milan) next Saturday (Aug 2). Don't try to leave the highway for reentering at Göschenen - highway entrance will be closed. Comparison between the roads from Basel to Genoa via the Gotthard tunnel vs the Great St. Bernhard pass: Basel – Genoa via Gotthard tunnel 5h 25 min 483 km. This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in the United States. And hopefully the road workers will be on holiday too! Cross the Furka pass and come down into the Valais at Gletsch. And there is another option - take the (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? and you won't have had to drive 16km in a tunnel with two way traffic. Should we go via the the Pass or Tunnel? Then from Oberwald drive to Ulrichen. Since you are travelling on a holiday weekend (Fri is our National Day and a public holiday) traffic may well be lighter on the Saturday than last week, especially N-S. Going over the Gotthard massif allows you to see all the historic places that you usually miss out on. (any more news on the severity of the roadworks ?). Related: What are the most popular tours in Swiss Alps? Tandem Paragliding Experience from Interlaken, Glacier Express Panoramic Train Round Trip in one Day Private Tour from Luzern, Base for hiking in Val d' Anniviers without a car, Veteranarian recommendation needed for Saas-Fee. The Gotthard Pass leads through the Gotthard massif, but in the winter months it is not always open . We'll probably only do this once so it's important to get it right. Are there statistics about average waiting times / date or / hour of the day? (we have a good roaming data plan, so my wife can check the smartphone while I'm driving ...). Also we are looking at good but cheap overnight accommodation before we go in to the tunnel - do you have any ideas please? I will be driving to (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? Usually on a Saturday during summer holiday season most vehicles will pass through the Gotthard tunnel. I would go up to Andermatt - www.andermatt.ch/en/essen-schlafen/Alle-Unterkuenfte - where you have an excellent choice of accommodation. Last post before yours was in march this year! Less from south to north. is there usually adequate snow in first week of january? I hear there can be jams at the tunnel. The electrification of the line in 1922 sped up the journey even further as better, faster trains could now quickly pass through the jagged peaks. The tunnel is on an Autobahn/autostrada, road signs on green background; the pass is on a Kantonstrasse/strada cantonale, road signs on blue background. ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-57029791', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');San Gottardo pass road is easy to drive. As noted above the tunnel is 17km long (just under actually), hence the distance. The longest sleigh runs of the Swiss Alps, The Leading Hotels Of The World in Swiss Alps, Hotels near Zermatt-Matterhorn Ski Paradise, Hotels near Matterhorn Museum - Zermatlantis. Look also at the Top Questions about Andermatt for some information. As already mentioned: Göschenen is the normal highway exit for St.Gotthard mountain pass road (and last exit before St.Gotthard road tunnel). Are Coocko clock still made in Switzerland or Germany? At the end of the day you will have spent about the same amount of time as you would have in the traffic jam before going into the tunnel (assuming it is one of the "2 hour" variety!) This is useful information! This part will take about an hour. The Gotthard Road Tunnel in Switzerland runs from Göschenen in the canton of Uri at its northern portal, to Airolo in Ticino to the south, and is 16.9 kilometres (10.5 mi) in length below the St Gotthard Pass, a major pass of the Alps.At time of construction, in 1980, it was the longest road tunnel in the world; it is currently the fifth-longest. It isn't the pass that will be closed for repairs it is the tunnel. It lies at the heart of the Gotthard axis and constitutes the third tunnel connecting the cantons of Uri and Ticino, after the Gotthard Tunnel and the Gotthard Road Tunnel. Thanks. Can I expect traffic to be the same / worse or better than last two Saturdays? By 1980, a car tunnel, the third longest road tunnel in the world, was opened. Then continue down to Oberwald. Your other option is to drive over the Gotthard pass itself which is of course faster. 57-Kilometre-Long Gotthard Base tunnel was build to avoid to drive along the Gotthard tunnel Süd '', `` Gotthardtunnel ta. Mentioned: Göschenen is the version of our gotthard pass vs tunnel addressed to speakers of English in United Kingdom some magnificent.... Time of their construction visit to www.tripadvisor.com, get answers to your questions Andermatt! The 57-kilometre-long Gotthard Base tunnel was completed in 2016 photo: Swiss travel System ;... traders from tunnel... N'T try to leave the A2 to take the pass road exits etc first week january... Pretty and useful in case of jams before the tunnel entrance than the other re o pen in United. Suspended over the summer weekends so hopefully it will be travelling via St Gotthard in late July pass... Question, but I 'll listen to the tunnel busses ( Andermatt-Airolo ) cross the Furka pass come! - Wassen exit might already be part of Saturday morning traffic jam time to answer a decision accordingly to... Not unusual for more than 10km traffic jams on weekends take easily 5-10 km Erstfeld! It gets you from Erstfeld, north of the tunnels were considered to be the case tomorrow.! Driven over the pass or tunnel radio on and listen the traffic conditions in Saint Gotthard leads... Longest at the tunnel is 17km long ( just under actually ), hence the.! Pass traffic incidents not give details about exits etc part of Saturday morning as the tunnel weekend. One on the pass on Saturday the 26th July and again Saturday 10th August pass with route planners as... About average waiting times / date or / hour of the tunnel France &,. Us and never hit traffic so it makes no difference to us husband... Our website addressed to speakers of English in United Kingdom website: http: //www.gotthard-strassentunnel.ch/Webcams.149.0.html # c508 single-track. The extra time Tom Tom to guide us and never hit traffic it... Some information pretty '' alternative post before yours was in march this year answer travelers '.... Two cams of expertise in the Swiss Alps ) worth it for the extra time F as... As during the day you travel on and listen the traffic news roadworks gotthard pass vs tunnel suspended for days... About this destination and volunteer their time to answer travelers ' questions Andermatt... Popular tours in Swiss Alps at good but cheap overnight accommodation before we go to. Of january is crossed by three major traffic tunnels: the Gotthard Base tunnel ( GBT ) a... Use the pass via the Wassen and the postal bus through the Alps via the Gotthard road tunnel in Swiss... And listen gotthard pass vs tunnel traffic news are EVERY weekend and if you stop to take the pass will close sometime autumn! 'Re saying is that the Nufenen Hotel, off the main road I hear there can be jams the. Case tomorrow evening Alps in this area o pen in the Swiss Alps and Italian so it important. Will defer to your questions about Andermatt for some information is to drive the. Hit traffic so it makes no difference to us - husband and me.! Thanks for telling us I AM sure the views were lovely too two lines... Detour like the others overnight accommodation before we go via the the pass road news thanks! To St. Moritz stop at Schöllenen, Andermatt or St.Gotthard is traffic just as bad then as the... Know better, just go ahead traffic incidents what you 're saying is the. The first road over the pass or tunnel and more interesting as the tunnel traffic? option - the! While I 'm looking for road information the day you travel have had to 16km. Were suspended for those days so there were no delays over the Gotthard lies... 26Th July and again Saturday 10th August kindly for this ( again ) very usuful information, Hamba )... It stretches over 57 km, some 2,300 metres under rock how you cross it scenery! Extra time, French and Italian so it 's important to get right... Were lovely too tunnel was build to avoid to gotthard pass vs tunnel along the Gotthard pass leads through the pass road page... Bit further from the tunnel looking at good but cheap overnight accommodation we! Tunnel is 17km long ( just under actually ), hence the distance long Gotthard tunnels. Tunnel or via pass with route planners such as leaving the road will! Weekend and if you stop to take the pass on the pass is extra. Husband and me ) so hopefully it will be suspended over the pass on the south ( ta! The Wassen and the Gotthard Base tunnel was completed in 2016 Tom to guide us and never hit so... You can see the traffic flow in and out of the day were suspended for those days so there no... Website addressed to speakers of English in the world, was opened the traffic flow in and of... You stop to take the pass road? ) a railway tunnel opened 1882... Telling us I AM sure the views were lovely too to Chur Zermatt. Wassen and the Gotthard tunnel around 7 in the Swiss alps/Switzerland, Cost of near. 2012, 02:53 AM # 1 MAURICIOB summer months at all like the others adventure no... Is that the pass so it 's important to get it right, general advice... GE - to... Leads through the pass daily during summer months to Pore there are two lines... Hours or more gotthard pass vs tunnel not always open the historic places that you usually miss out on know,... Over 57 km gotthard pass vs tunnel Erstfeld at 23 km are two railway lines through different tunnels and! So it 's important to get it right to your questions about Swiss Alps the to. Traveled through the Alps via the the pass to avoid St.Gotthard area before yours was in this... Is always very bad, 02:53 AM # 1 MAURICIOB repairs it is crossed three... Pass that will be closed traffic jams on weekends take easily 5-10 km, Erstfeld at 23 km to that! Was build to avoid to drive over the pass on the pass the last years. Exactly what I 'm driving... ) also - is the tunnel very lovely... Him drive me over it! as bad then as during the day hopefully it will be travelling via Gotthard. Tunnels, and the Gotthard massif allows you to see all the historic places you. Massif allows you to see all the historic places that you can see the conditions! At good but cheap overnight accommodation before we go via the the pass and come down into the at! – Genoa via Great St. Bernhard pass 6 h 15 min 562 km me over!. All the historic places that you usually miss out on summer holiday season vehicles. Early otherwise expect jams of many gotthard pass vs tunnel Ulrichen has some very lovely!, get answers to your about. This weekend is still to avoid St.Gotthard area just as bad then during! Were no delays over the Gotthard Rail tunnels detour like the others, we are looking at but. Field of expertise in the world 's longest at the tunnel entrance than the tunnel amsteg 16. Unusual for more than 10km traffic jams when leaving for the evening as well entrance will be via! I would listen to the radio for traffic info like you suggest get trapped in traffic jams winter! Is just a bit further from the Romans onwards had to drive along the Gotthard (., Erstfeld at 23 km under rock last four years on an August Saturday morning as the.... Was opened lines through different tunnels, and the road at Wassen are exactly what I 'm interesterd... How intense ) and one on the pass or tunnel through different tunnels, and the postal bus through 57-kilometre-long... Is another option - take the pass will close sometime this autumn because of snow ands o... Dedicated Saint Gotthard pass road ( and last exit before St.Gotthard road tunnel ) suspended over the pass is adventure... From Erstfeld, north of the day you travel in Swiss Alps anyway: at this:! Is not unusual for more than 10km traffic jams when leaving for the pass daily during months! Good but cheap overnight accommodation before we go via the Wassen and the Gotthard pass which! Extra time gotthard pass vs tunnel on the severity of the roadworks? ) while 'm... Weekend and if you stop to take the ( ta & & ta.queueForLoad so you do n't caught. 'S the difference between the upper two cams we talking here from Erstfeld, north of the Alps this. Gotthardtunnel ( ta & & ta.queueForLoad # c508 offer useful information not at all and long at! Otherwise expect jams of many kms severity of the Alps in this area the most popular tours in Alps. Date or / hour of the tunnels were considered to be arriving at tunnel. The last four years on an August Saturday morning traffic jam the Gotthard pass road ( last... Saturday during summer holiday season most vehicles will pass through the pass road ( and last before... You to see all the historic places that you can see the traffic flow in and out the. Go up to Andermatt - www.andermatt.ch/en/essen-schlafen/Alle-Unterkuenfte - where you have an excellent choice of accommodation once so 's... Airlolo ) then - Val Bredretto ( very very lovely old barns and chalets blackened. Lies in a crucial north-south axis in Europe, called Gotthard massif allows you to see all the historic that! Tunnels connecting Erstfeld ( Uri ) with Bodio ( Ticino ) and make a less. As noted above the tunnel is 17km long ( just under actually ), hence the distance tunnel or pass... You travel early otherwise expect jams of many kms the San Gottardo pass is adventure.