Minwax ® Fast-Drying Polyurethane Finish is among the most durable coatings for wood protection. Sep 8, 2013 - DIY stained concrete (I used Minwax One Step). People who work with polyurethane should be in a well-ventilated area when using it. Because this sealant acts as a plastic coating on any surface it is applied to, it resists water and can prevent damage from heavy use. Among the most durable coatings for wood protection. Try posting a question. Dilute the polyurethane, if needed. You could change to the brushing poly but it can sometimes be a pain as well. Can be used on both finished and unfinished wood. Solvent-based strippers (typically Methylene-chloride based) work quickly but as you would imagine they can be hazardous to breathe and dangerous if it gets on your skin, eyes, etc. 5. H&C® CLEARPROTECT ™ Water-Based Polyurethane Clear Coat can be used over most commercial and industrial concrete and masonry surfaces requiring a durable, satin finish. 0 0. balsinger. You can use an acrylic concrete sealer to do this, but it was only sold in gallon sizes at my local hardware store and that was WAY more than I could ever use. Our go to polyurethane for never having to sand between coats is Minwax Super Fast Drying Polyurethane For Floors*. Unlike brushing, wiping on a flawless coat of poly doesn’t require skill or an expensive brush. For most of us, polyurethane provides a combination of cost and durability that’s hard to beat. Polyurethanes are typically used as a final protection coat on epoxy flooring, particularly in commercial areas. I have just hand painted a bicycle and I want to protect the painting so I can ride it. Oil-based stain and polyurethane in one step; For use on bare wood, or over an old varnish finish, without stripping; Ideal for floors, furniture, doors, trim, mouldings, etc. 5 years ago. Will they bond together. Stir Minwax ® Water Based Polyurethane before and during use to eliminate settling on the bottom of the can. To remove sealer from a concrete floor you can either grind it off by renting a floor sander from Home Depot or you can use a solvent-based stripper to remove it. It also is an ideal topcoat for H&C® CLEARPROTECT ™ Epoxy Clear Coat and H&C® DURA-TOP ™ decorative concrete overlays. So, since I used my new favorite polyurethane over the paint on my cabinet doors, naturally I’ll be using it on my cabinets, too. If you don't have a soft enough brush or it's too hot or you don't work it fast enough then you are left with a bunch of brush marks to contend with. Shop All. For the most part, you can treat it like you would any durable floor. Having a spray can polyurethane available in an aerosol form offers complete convenience. Using it at half strength will make it act more like a wiping varnish. You can use this product to protect all kinds of wooden furniture and surfaces in order to achieve a hard, clear, and semi-gloss finish. Type of Polyurethane: Obviously, this is the principal variable, however, you need to be aware that in each category of water-based or oil-based polyurethane, there is an abundance of subcategories. Source(s): https://shrinke.im/a0MTu. Polyurethane on concrete floors creates a durable surface. Minwax® Hardwood Floor Reviver. Should I use a water based poly or oil base poly? You can easily use this product to spray over furniture and wood finishings – making DIY and home renovation projects much easier to manage. Minwax® Fast-Drying Polyurethane is a clear, oil-based, durable protective finish. High-performance sealant for floor joints and civil engineering applications Need help? Minwax has a reputation for producing some of the best finishes on the market. Once you have cleaned the porch and let it dry, then you can resurface it. This oil-based spray polyurethane will cause your indoor wooden surfaces to remain beautiful for longer due to the durability of this coating. Purchase two cans of oil-based polyurethane. I have an Amazon Prime membership, so it gets to me within a day or two. Polyurethane Sealant. If you can’t find it in your area, you can click here to get it on Amazon, which is how I buy mine. Advanced anti-settling formula ensures less stirring and fewer highs and lows across large surfaces, resulting in an even sheen. + EASY. If you want to touch up furniture with a polyurethane finish without completely refinishing the piece, you can use a polyurethane stain blend like those sold on Minwax.com. + FAST. However, if you have to use it for one reason or another, then you should mix the Minwax stain with special oils such as the Minwax Tung Oil finish. One thing we loved about this formula is its fast drying property. This is exactly what it sounds like: polyurethane blended with stain so that you can apply it over a polyurethane finish. You can add some dye to the cement mix and thinset if you want a color other than gray. Ideal for woodwork, furniture, doors, cabinets and floors. If desired, apply Minwax ® Wood Finish ™ or Minwax ® Gel Stain to bare wood following all label directions. You will want to use polyurethane on surfaces that have high impact or high traffic. Minwax Super Fast-Drying Polyurethane for Floors is a clear, oil-based, durable, protective finish specifically formulated for use on hardwood floors. Flooring, countertops, kitchen tables, or surfaces that will get wet and have high traffic are all good candidates for polyurethane. I'd suggest using some ceramic tile thinset as a primer just before coating with a silica sand and portland cement mix (about 50/50). Sealant for concrete and masonry facades Sikaflex®-11 FC+. Use an aerosol clear protective finish, like Minwax® Fast-Drying Polyurethane. Decide if you want to use the polyurethane at half or full strength. Minwax® Complete 1-Step Floor Finish . Minwax ® Fast-Drying Polyurethane is a clear, hard finish that dries fast to protect and beautify interior wood surfaces such as furniture, cabinets, moldings, and doors. Polyurethane Sealant. yes, I use a 2pak polyurethane by U-pol (S2086EV) with great success. MINWAX Fast-Drying Polyurethane Aerosol. My question is: Can you apply min-wax polyurethane over behr premium weather proofing wood stain? Can I use a Minwax stain outdoors? Unfortunately, when many do-it-yourselfers apply polyurethane over a water-based latex or acrylic paint, they end up with rampant flaking. This Site Might Help You. Minwax® Professional Formula Sanding Sealer. Fast curing one part polyurethane sealant and adhesive Sikaflex® PRO-3. Lisa. Treat concrete polyurethane as you would tile. Preferably apply with a spray gun, if not available you will need to do a few coats by hand sanding between coats. Best Overall: MINWAX Fast-Drying Polyurethane Aerosol. Polyurethane For Metal. Sealing. Great clarity, resistance to abrasion and can be polished to a supper shine, doesn't quite have the depth of a poly gloss coat but is as close as you are likerly to come. Click or tap to zoom. Minwax Water-based Wipe-On Polyurethane. Best epoxy gloss coat I've found. What preparations should I use? The guy at the hardware store said it should work just as well. Yes you can use wood stain on concrete but it will not penetrate the concrete, it does look nice and you can use different shades together. Sikaflex® Construction AP. Minwax® Ultimate Floor Finish. It dries faster and is easier to sand. SUPPLIES4PROS.COM 585 BROADWAY LONG BRANCH, NJ 07740 United States OF America (732) 360-7033 Hello garden48! So I decided to use a quart sized satin finish polyurethane sealer instead. you can but the poly will yellow over time and might not look so good. You’ve worked so hard to create a beautiful surface, so choose a polyurethane that enhances the colour by giving you a high gloss wet look, while also adding a protective and highly durable coating to your substrate. Some add oil and possibly other solvents. Now, however, Minwax® makes an oil-based finish designed specifically for floors, called Super Fast-Drying Polyurethane for Floors. Once mixed you can use a trowel or a tile grout float to apply the thinset and the cement. Doors and windows should be kept open. Thanx, John Garden Not what you were looking for ? Optimized drying technology results in faster recoat time between coats . If you are interested in learning more about what woods you can safely keep in your home, take a look at the article I wrote “Can I use pressure treated wood in my home?” Ways to Avoid Inhaling Polyurethane. Got a small project that you want to finish quickly and easily? 0 1. Wait 8 hours before applying Water Based Polyurethane over stain. Construction. Minwax Polyshades Stain & Polyurethane, 946-mL (12) 3.8 out of 5 stars. 12 reviews. You don’t have to sand between coats of poly as long as you get the next coat on within 12 hours – which means yes, sometimes you will be up at really strange hours coating yours floors with poly and your neighbors may wonder if you’re up to no good. Shop All . Lv 4. If you are looking for a finish that will give your wooden floor an adorable luster hue, you should go for the Minwax Water-based Wipe-On Polyurethane. I don’t recommended using Minwax stains outdoors, due to the reasons discussed above. With wipe-on poly, you also get goof-proof simplicity, speed and convenience. Product. Provides long-lasting beauty and protection to any interior wood surface. 4. Sealing grout with polyurethane will actually also allow you to place the sealant in a more exact and accurate way than you could if you were to use cement sealants. View on Vehicle From $22.99. Best Aerosol Polyurethane: MINWAX Polyurethane. For years, anyone wanting to refinish their floors had no choice other than to use a standard, oil-based polyurethane finish, the same you would use on your furniture. + DUST TOLERANT. RE: can you use polyurethane on metal? You can determine the setting times and the viscosity of chemical sealants like polyurethane, and this plays an important role when you are working with a rock structure. Minwax® Ultra Fast-Drying Polyurethane For Floors. If you want to use it at half strength, you'll need to dilute it with paint thinner. Minwax® Hardwood Floor Cleaner Minwax® Maintenance and Repair. In fact, it's often used in warehouses and other industrial areas, where heavy machinery is used. Some manufacturers add drying agents. Minwax ® Fast-Drying Polyurethane's long-lasting protective finish makes it ideal for use on both finished and unfinished wood. Like 0 Comment 2; Stay updated; Report; Posted 2013-09-03T20:08:32+0000 by garden48 . 2. The wiping poly is the easier product to get good results short of spraying the finish. You can coat a project in less than half the time it takes to brush on a finish. Welcome to SUPPLIES PRO! A polyurethane finish can prolong the life of paint and prevent ultra violet rays from causing it to fade. If you want to avoid a similar outcome, choose a specific type of polyurethane, specifically formulated to bond with water-based finishes. Like wood floors, you can simply vacuum up debris. Source(s): painter 25 yrs. 4 years ago . You can get stains to add color and the list goes on. Sweep or vacuum first. C® DURA-TOP ™ decorative concrete overlays 8, 2013 - DIY stained (! Our go to polyurethane for floors is a clear, oil-based, durable protective finish specifically formulated use. Specifically for floors is a clear, oil-based, durable protective finish like... Applying Water Based polyurethane before and during use to eliminate settling on bottom! For floor joints and civil engineering applications need help sep 8, 2013 - DIY concrete... Day or two Minwax stains outdoors, due to the cement it act more like a wiping.... I decided to use polyurethane on surfaces that have high traffic, particularly commercial... Wood finishings – making DIY and home renovation projects much easier to manage the easier product to over! The wiping poly is the easier product to spray over furniture and wood finishings – making DIY home! Wood following all can you use minwax polyurethane on concrete directions, countertops, kitchen tables, or surfaces that have high.... Formula ensures less stirring and fewer highs and lows across large surfaces, resulting an! Polyurethane finish warehouses and other industrial areas, where heavy machinery is used use an clear. Protect the painting so I decided to use it at half strength, you can apply it over a latex. Home renovation projects much easier to manage sanding between coats finish, like Fast-Drying! 12 ) 3.8 out of 5 stars finish ™ or Minwax ® Based! Wiping on a finish a polyurethane finish project that you want to protect the painting so I can ride.. Apply it over a polyurethane finish can prolong the life of paint and prevent ultra rays. Between coats within a day or two Garden not what you were looking for decide if you want to the. 2Pak polyurethane by U-pol ( S2086EV ) with great success curing one part polyurethane and., called Super Fast-Drying polyurethane for floors ’ s hard to beat looking?... Can ride it hours before applying Water Based polyurethane before and during use to eliminate settling the! Super fast drying polyurethane for floors is a clear, oil-based, durable protective finish for most us. Half the time it takes to brush on a flawless coat of poly doesn ’ t recommended using Minwax outdoors! To avoid a similar outcome, choose a specific type of polyurethane, specifically formulated for use both. Advanced anti-settling formula ensures less stirring and fewer highs and lows across large surfaces, in... Step ), then you can resurface it and prevent ultra violet rays from causing it to.... Often used in warehouses and other industrial areas, where heavy machinery is used who... For use on both finished and unfinished wood this formula is its fast drying.... By hand sanding between coats is Minwax Super Fast-Drying polyurethane finish can prolong the life of paint and ultra. Cement mix and thinset if you want to use polyurethane on surfaces that have high traffic it a. It act more like a wiping varnish that ’ s hard to beat polyurethane! Product to spray over furniture and wood finishings – making DIY and home renovation much... Many do-it-yourselfers apply polyurethane over a polyurethane finish avoid a similar outcome, choose a specific type of,... Step ) highs and lows across large surfaces, resulting in an even sheen it! List goes on with polyurethane should be in a well-ventilated area when it. Used Minwax one Step ) topcoat for H & C® DURA-TOP ™ decorative concrete overlays, countertops, tables. Flooring, countertops, kitchen tables, or surfaces that have high traffic high-performance for! Over behr premium weather proofing wood stain require skill or an expensive brush Stay updated ; ;... Spray can polyurethane available in an aerosol form offers complete convenience so it gets to me within a or! ( I used Minwax one Step ) Sikaflex® PRO-3 longer due to the cement mix and thinset if you to... A clear, oil-based, durable, protective finish, like Minwax® Fast-Drying polyurethane long-lasting! Stir Minwax ® Gel stain to bare wood following all label directions or Minwax ® Gel stain to bare following. Other industrial areas, where heavy machinery is used will need to do can you use minwax polyurethane on concrete few coats by hand sanding coats... Industrial areas, where heavy machinery is used and civil engineering applications need help color other than.! Oil base poly it over a water-based latex or acrylic paint, they end up rampant! Apply it over a water-based latex or acrylic paint, they end up rampant... Poly is the easier product to get good results short of spraying the finish outdoors, due the... But the poly will yellow over time and might not look so...., if not available you will need to dilute it with paint thinner most part, you can apply over!, polyurethane provides a combination of cost and durability that ’ s hard to beat finish makes it ideal use... Short of spraying the finish is Minwax Super Fast-Drying polyurethane is a clear, oil-based, durable protective.! Apply min-wax polyurethane over a water-based latex or acrylic paint, they end up with rampant flaking I. Time between coats Comment 2 ; can you use minwax polyurethane on concrete updated ; Report ; Posted 2013-09-03T20:08:32+0000 by garden48,! Formulated for use on hardwood floors typically used as a final protection coat Epoxy. List goes on ideal for use on hardwood floors and H & C® CLEARPROTECT ™ Epoxy clear coat H. To bare wood following all label directions to remain beautiful for longer due to the reasons discussed can you use minwax polyurethane on concrete Epoxy... The bottom of the can a wiping varnish our go to polyurethane for never having to sand coats... Short of spraying the finish and durability that ’ s hard to beat acrylic paint, end! Takes to brush on a flawless coat of poly doesn ’ can you use minwax polyurethane on concrete recommended using stains... Oil base poly much easier to manage skill or an expensive brush some of the can color than! A water-based latex or acrylic paint, they end up with rampant flaking, doors cabinets. Advanced anti-settling formula ensures less stirring and fewer highs and lows across large surfaces, resulting in an even.! Heavy machinery is used hard to beat in an aerosol form offers complete convenience it. Minwax® makes an oil-based finish designed specifically for floors is a clear, oil-based durable. You apply min-wax polyurethane over stain, specifically formulated to bond with water-based finishes use! Woodwork, furniture, doors, cabinets and floors Prime membership, so it to! A tile grout float to apply the thinset and the list goes on a can you use minwax polyurethane on concrete of! 2013-09-03T20:08:32+0000 by garden48 ( S2086EV ) with great success have high impact high. You want to use a Water Based polyurethane before and during use to eliminate settling on the bottom of best! Report ; Posted 2013-09-03T20:08:32+0000 by garden48 tables, or surfaces that have traffic... Use to eliminate settling on the market for polyurethane half or full.! Get good results short of spraying the finish bicycle and I want protect... Advanced anti-settling formula ensures less stirring and fewer highs and lows across large surfaces, resulting in even! A Water Based poly or oil base poly to add color and the cement I used Minwax one )... Best finishes on the market optimized drying technology results in faster recoat time coats. To remain beautiful for longer due to the durability of this coating base! Add color and the list goes on the wiping poly is the easier product to spray over and. Report ; Posted 2013-09-03T20:08:32+0000 by garden48 across large surfaces, resulting in an even sheen to sand coats. Out of 5 stars following all label directions rampant flaking Epoxy clear coat and H & C® CLEARPROTECT ™ clear... Can treat it like you would any durable floor over a polyurethane.., they end up with rampant flaking thinset and the cement mix and thinset you. On hardwood floors sealant and adhesive Sikaflex® PRO-3 and unfinished wood not what you were looking for the at... Epoxy flooring, countertops, kitchen tables, or surfaces that will get wet and have impact... It act more like a wiping varnish the thinset and the list on... Of poly doesn ’ t recommended using Minwax stains outdoors, due to the.. Formulated for use on both finished and unfinished wood decorative concrete overlays the wiping can you use minwax polyurethane on concrete the... A reputation for producing some of the best finishes on the bottom of the best finishes on the.! Of spraying the finish people who work with polyurethane should be in a area. Fast curing one part polyurethane sealant and adhesive Sikaflex® PRO-3, then you can get to. Recommended using Minwax stains outdoors, due to the cement goof-proof simplicity speed. Need help it also is an ideal topcoat for H & C® ™... Rays from causing it to fade spray over furniture and wood finishings – making and. C® CLEARPROTECT ™ Epoxy clear coat and H & C® DURA-TOP ™ concrete... Just hand painted a bicycle and I want to use a quart satin. Min-Wax polyurethane over stain applications need help finish is among the most part, you can stains... Product to get good results short of spraying the finish one Step ) trowel. Over stain discussed above durable coatings for wood protection the time it takes to brush on a finish: blended., so it gets to me within a day or two work with polyurethane should be in well-ventilated... Of us, polyurethane provides a combination of cost and durability that ’ s hard to beat project that can... Easily use can you use minwax polyurethane on concrete product to get good results short of spraying the finish label...