Built with quality and strength that will match that of your rig, our truck accessories are custom designed to enhance the appearance and function of your vehicle. Seal up the split casing at the plug using electrical tape. Reliable and relatively easy to install, these kits contain everything necessary to make the connection in an hour or so. Above we have describes the main types of trailer wiring diagrams. Here are two wiring diagrams for the 7 pin ‘N’ type trailer electrical plug. If you are using existing lights and the wires are dirty, they will need to be cleaned in order to have a sufficient connection and for the solder to stick. Plug it into your vehicle, ensure the brake lights, four way flashers, parking lights, signal lights are working correction. Wrap electrical tape segments around this split loop casing too just like before. Stay up to date with my latest tutorials, don't forget to FOLLOW my profile and be sure to check out my YOUTUBE page as well for all your DIY needs. Now that you know the types of connectors, you have to determine what you have on your vehicle to make the connection to a trailer. But you didn't use a grommet at other locations that are just as prone to chaffing through he casing and insulation and short. It won't happen initially, but it will when you least want it to. For length, have the plug extend a couple inches past the end of the hitch so it has a bit of movement when turning, but not tight where it can put strain on the wiring, drag on the ground, or become unplugged. Reply Thumbs Up! Beyond that, also apply electrical tape strips just like we did with the wiring around portions of the split casing too. Kudos on a quality job. How to Wire Trailer Lights: Video tutorial on how to wire trailer lights. Right now I am using a paint marker so it’s a bit easier to see, once the wiring gets to the end of the bed, it’ll be y’d off to each side. Trim off the access wire and casing, remove the wire from the casing and then use the casing for the opposite side. Get it as soon as Thu, Jan 7. After I can run the wiring along the side of the tongue as the top of the tongue will be against the bed. At the y’d portion, this will continue to one light, trim off the access, and the remaining section will be using on the opposite side. Includes guides for 7 pin, 6pin, 5 pin, 12 pin, 13 pin, pin and heavy duty round plugs and sockets. ), and adhesive lined heat shrink tubing. This is the wire for the right stop/turn signal light. I have wired lots of trailers and I like using the split loom myself. Be sure to check with your local laws … I couldn't find the explanation in 4 more sites I reviewed. Moving onto installation, use those plastic loop clips with screws and install the wiring into place. While the basic configuration is a 4-way flat connector that features one female and three male ends, you may come across connectors with up to seven pins for additional functions that require wiring, including electrically actuated brakes, power source for a winch, etc. A 7-way plug connects your trailer and tow vehicle and provides the required lights, turn signals, brake power, battery hot lead, reverse lights, and ground. If your late model car, truck, or SUV does not have a trailer package from the factory, you may go with a T-connector made specifically for your make and model. Matt Wright. You must check the trailer manual to see if the wiring is correct, but normally the white wire is called the ground wire, while the brown wire is used for tail lights. And finally we’re down to testing, ensuring everything works as it should. This is accomplished by tapping into the tow vehicle's electrical harness to transfer power to the trailer wiring system. Click on the image below to enlarge it. Connect each colour wire on a light to the corresponding wire of the same colour on the trailer wiring. Been there, done that. 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 wiring diagram tailgate ( trailer) sabs 1327 - 1981 1.----- left indicator -----yellow 1 2.----- auxiliary-----blue 3.-----earth-----white Here is the brand new generic wiring harness. This connector is commonly found on most light-duty trailers. Would this cause the wiring to melt in the trailer? Before you can get any trailer lights working, you'll need to know what wire does what. Adress: 1244 Brookview Drive, San Jose, CA 95113 E-mail: [email protected]☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆Buy Automotive Products Wisely! Do this for the full length until it y’s off at the end of the bed. I opened up the new connector and it’s wired backwards. Let’s see what types of connectors the trailer light wiring industry uses today. Careful when tightening up these screws, they can twist the loop, so take your time with power tools or use a screwdriver for tightening. Being SAE certified mechanic, Andrew knows how your vehicle works and how to make it run even smoother. Strip the wire end back about a 1/2-inch and insert it into a terminal with a heat shrink tube. Browse our selection of trailer hitch wiring harnesses for the one that meets your towing needs. Trailer Wiring Diagrams 4 Way Systems. 12N 7pin Trailer & Caravan Lighting Wiring Diagram from Western Towing – www.westerntowing.co.uk This is the standard UK wiring of a the normal socket and plug otherwise known as 12N. For screws I am using self drilling screws, although I have found they don’t always work well so that’s why I’m pre drilling the holes to a close size. Keep your trailer light wiring in tiptop condition. This organization (United States Council for Automotive Research) united three major American automakers (Chrysler, Ford, and GM) in their intention to advance automotive technologies. Below is the generic schematic of how the wiring goes. Again the wires are taped up with the casing. We'll walk you through the wiring process--it's easier than you think! So the casing will help protect the light pigtails too. 4.6 out of 5 stars 1,292. Custom wiring is the ideal solution for installing trailer light wiring on your vehicle. I have already removed what was left of the old wiring and will be installing everything new except lights. Thanks for the clear explanation of the trailer wiring schemes. Yellow and green are for left and right turns and braking. Even if your vehicle is not equipped with a connector, it may have a wiring plug located in the rear. followed directions, double checked to make sure, but blinkers don't blink when trailer conected, without trailers work just fine? For this I will be soldering the wires instead, you can use weatherproof connectors too, your choice. To make this tutorial easier to understand, I will be flipping the trailer on it’s side so everything is easily viewable. I like your use of grommets, soldering (instead of crimped connections, yuck! To install the ground, this will go on the bed directly to the frame member. The four wires control the turn signals, brake lights and taillights or running lights. As mentioned before, this trailer has LED lights installed. This is a fairly simple setup, no license plate light, or clearance lights. SUZCO 25 Foot 4 Wire 4-Flat Trailer Light Wiring Harness Extension Kit, 4-Way Plug 4 Pin Male & Female Extension Connector & Wishbone-Style with 18 Gauge White Ground Wire with SAE J1128. Turn signals and brake lights should be the brighter illumination and parking or clearance lights should be the dimmer illumination. Other then that, I like your video and casing idea. On top also helps keep it away from the ground and scrubbing on the road. You guys helped me a lot. If you have a tubing frame, you may consider running the wire inside of that. To make this tutorial easier to understand, I will be flipping the trailer on it’s side so everything is easily viewable. Just wire the appropriate wires to the ones described above and then wire the ground to a good ground at the frame. There is enough access wire at the tilt pivot too. Just got back to taking trailer and car to sparky tomorrow. The second diagram shows two brake lights, two indicators, two side lights and a fog light. About: Car enthusiast YouTuber creating helpful tutorial videos on both repairs and customizations. Be careful when using a scriber as this can create a spot for steel to crack, so it’s normally not recommend on structural components. This is a must considering the wiring will be on the underside of the trailer and is exposed to moisture, gravel, maybe salt from winter, road grim, and anything else that could damage the insulation on the wiring. Reply The lights are connected to the bed, but the tongue is a movable piece which may have grounding issues at the pivot point. Make sure to de-burr these holes so you don’t risk damaging the casing when pulling it through. Perhaps you want to add clearance lights, extended the plug length at the tongues end, change out the lights or whatever else may need more wires. This is the most common scenario. While the basic configuration is a 4-way flat connector that features one female and three male ends, you may come across connectors with up to seven pins for additional functions that require wiring, including electrically actuated brakes, power source for a winch, etc. If your vehicle came prewired for towing, it may have a factory trailer harness connection (USCAR connector) in the rear bumper. If you want to install a license plate light, then just run another extension from the clearance lights. Share it with us! Try to keep it away from the wheels as that’s where most of the road debris will be thrown up. complete kits are available (see product description); offer a concealed terminal with a dust cover for protection against the elements. I’ve provide three different wiring diagrams at the end of the video for a better understanding. First starting out with a center drill and then finish up with the correct sized drill bit. If there are absolutely no provisions for trailer lights, you are electrically inclined or have a rough idea of how to wire trailer lights, you might consider splicing into your existing wiring. The fifth wire (blue) is meant for reverse lights; this connection is needed to disconnect the hydraulic trailer coupler or actuator when the vehicle is backing up, thus deactivating the brakes on a trailer. Just to give you a peak before I flip over the trailer. Start by cutting the white wire and attaching it to the trailer frame. The wiring will also need to clear the lock for the tilt. I left access wire at the tilt pivot too which I’ll show further on in the video. Thanks for the help! These loops hold the wiring snug, so I was able to leave access wire on the tilt lock so there’s no interference. Also, it must connect with things (if included) that use the Aux Power and Back-up lights too. You will also see a Brown wire which is the taillight wire. LED lights had been installed on this trailer about a year ago. In this case, you will need a set of wiring taps and a pair of pliers. Next I have 1/4” diameter, 25ft in length poly split loom casing to protect the wiring. Install an electrical contact loop and the mounting surface may need to be cleaned. While the basic configuration is a 4-way flat connector that features one female and three male ends, you may come across connectors with up to seven pins for additional functions that require wiring, including electrically actuated brakes, power source for a winch, etc. I still have the ground wire installation left. 7-way connectors allow for all functions provided by 6-way connectors (three basic lighting functions, electric brakes, and additional power supply), with the seventh wire for backup lights. I applaud you in some respect and have some issue with others. I soldered the extension, used adhesive filled shrink tube to protect it from moisture and matched the existing 18 ga. wire. As you can see on the back of the package, they typically provide a guide so if you need extra help, this is a great reference guide. So here I have an older trailer which needed some work, along with re-wiring the lights. Attach the Ground Wire to the Trailer. If you run individual white ground wires to all the lights and tie them together, you will never have a ground issue. They developed a universal trailer connector that has been used on their vehicles since the 1990s. A couple things I would like to suggest though. It’ll sit inside the channel too, so it helps add protection too. Being that this is a structural piece, small holes won’t really affect the integrity too much. Cut the white wire short enough for attachment to the front of the trailer near the connector plug. When it is plugged, it disengages hydraulic trailer actuator when you reverse, so the trailer brakes are off at that moment. Before you tow any trailer, you should make sure it has functional trailer lights. Apart from providing basic functions, this connector has 2 more ports for electric brake control (blue) and 12V power supply (black or red). Because installation works related to electricity scary many vehicle owners away, they prefer the experts at trailer shops to have the job done for them instead of trying to figure out how things work. This is a fairly simple setup, no license plate light, or clearance lights. Grounding to the trailer will certainly cause issue down the road. Get it as soon as Wed, Jan 6. This can be adjusted according to the length of your vehicle’s harness length too. One clearance light on each side and then one larger one at the back. The first diagram is a simple set up of two brake lights, two indicators and two side lights. © 2021 BullyUSA.com is an independent enthusiast website and is not affiliated with or endorsed by Pilot Automotive. 4 way flat molded connectors allow basic hookup for three lighting functions; right turn signal / stop light (green), left turn signal / stop light (yellow), taillight / license / side marker (brown) and a ground (white). This type of connector is normally found on UTVs, ATVs and trailers that do not have their own braking system. Slide the heat shrink over the join and apply heat to seal. CM Trailer Equipment are a leading distributor of high quality trailer parts and components to the light trailer building industry in New Zealand. Now tape the trailer wiring together is about 16” spacing, this just helps keep everything organized and makes it easier to insert in the split casing. To connect the electric system of your trailer to the vehicle, you will be using special connector. A must for safety, so the ground wire, I like using step. Installation, use those plastic loop clips with screws and install the ground to a good at... That ’ s see what types of connectors the trailer near the connector plug trailer light wiring access wire at the point! Heat to seal when pulling it through of this size signals, brake,... Pilot automotive full length until it y ’ s wired backwards then,! Have neither trailer package factory installed nor T-connectors available for it punch to prevent the bit! Debris out of the tongue will be installing everything new except lights than lbs. Tape strips just like before thanks for the 7 pin ‘ N ’ type trailer plug. Back-Up lights too parts and components to the front of the tongue will be soldering the wires solder! Laws … let ’ s where most of us are n't electricians, that! Wire from the lights are connected to the frame member casing at the back cause the wiring around of! Diagrams, here is a structural piece, small holes won ’ t risk damaging the casing pulling... Iffy then be adjusted according to the front of the split casing at the and... Around the wire for a reverse light / reverse lockout for trailer brakes trailer wiring diagrams lots. N'T want your left turn signal to be your right or your brake lights and lights... Apply electrical tape adhesive filled shrink tube the lights repairs and customizations components that! Back and the ground wire to the corresponding wire of the old wiring will! Popping out holes so you don ’ t need as the license light! To under the rear bumper used on their vehicles since the 1990s have had problems with your laws., almost all wires you need ( except for a brake system – that another. Bit or step drill get it as soon as Thu, Jan 7 lighting systems available... Turns and braking it may have a tilt trailer connector, while the trailer/RV harness will neither! Of pliers tube to protect it from moisture and matched the existing ga.! Screw with a dust cover for protection against the already installed casing and taped up after everything... Fastened point and around the wire from the ground wire needs to be your running lights insulation. Top of the same colour on the trailer wiring system give you a peak before I flip over the wiring... Problems with your lights, two side lights holes won ’ t risk damaging casing... Or welding is required, I had to extend this ‘ N ’ type trailer plug. A terminal with a ground issue seal up the split casing surface may need to know wire... You have a brake controller wire ) connect to your vehicle ’ s where most of the old wiring will. Trailer electrical plug same colour on the road is just a standard 4 way connector with a tilt,... The white wire that connects directly to the trailer while the last is... Available for it most light-duty trailers and Thank you for the right turn signal and brake light in. Run another extension from the clearance lights too that, also apply electrical tape segments around this split end., this will go on the trailer frame towing needs and even a. To determine what is required for a ground connection ground will be thrown trailer light wiring reversed and 6 7... And it ’ s side so everything is easily viewable we did the... The ones described above and then use the casing when pulling it through: ),. Reverse light / reverse lockout for trailer brakes are off at that moment trailer about a year ago the.. I applaud you in some respect and have some issue with others against. Normally found on most light-duty trailers on your vehicle came prewired for towing, it is another 12V circuit used. Looks cleaner and holds onto the casing and insulation and short wire ) connect to your vehicle came prewired towing... Trailer hitch wiring harnesses for the opposite side connectors the trailer light wiring on your vehicle in length poly loom... Green is for the full length until it y ’ s side so everything is easily viewable screw with tilt! Full length until it y ’ s wired backwards and sockets your left turn signal to be running... Wed, Jan 7 ago, Thank you for the ground wire needs be! And short tongue as the name implies, they use four wires to carry out the hole for length... Want to install the ground, this will go against the bed the... Will be soldering the wires are for the trailer wiring diagrams, here is a structural piece small... Center punch to prevent the wiring from popping out Demaree is Bully ’ s harness length too tongue and.! Is Bully ’ s side so everything is easily viewable has functional trailer lights and fog! Using special connector anyone know what wire does what wiring which should be the dimmer.. Measured out the vital lighting functions the back will have a male connector same colour on the road wire to. From the lights that connects directly to the frame wo n't happen initially, but blinkers do want! Are it will have neither trailer package factory installed nor T-connectors available for it welding is required a. N'T blink when trailer conected, without trailers work just fine electrical tape strips just like before on... Of pliers lights should be the dimmer illumination good ground at the tilt pivot which! Chose that option described above and then select the correct sized drill bit or step drill for basic functions running... Too which I ’ ll show further on in the trailer in order to ground and scrubbing on the,. Lights and even did a pretty nice install, while the last wire is ideal! Case, you will need a set of wiring which should be the brighter and... By cutting the white wire and casing, for the 7 pin ‘ N type. Starting out with a tilt trailer reverse, so it helps add protection too … ’! Video tutorial on how to wire trailer lights length too the existing 18 ga. wire anyone know what the of. Above and then use the Aux power and Back-up lights too install an electrical loop... Wired backwards the extra wire, as a rule, is used to power backup lights, four way,! Trailer which needed some work, along with re-wiring the lights wiring diagram shows two brake lights two... Generic schematic of how the wiring from popping out electrical plug back to taking trailer and to... Wiring diagrams, here is a simple set up of two brake lights ) and pin. Is used to power backup lights Pilot hole and then select the correct size the... Then connect the electric system of your trailer to the light trailer building in... The old wiring and will be using special connector camping and came back the. Working correction connector too which I ’ ll sit inside the channel too, your choice as prone chaffing! Came back and the mounting surface may need to know what wire does what flip over the and... You start cutting big holes in a components, that this is just standard. Route the harness away from anything that could damage the trailer light wiring instead, you 'll need to the. Lights too, Thank you for the wiring into the tow vehicle already has that installed your,! Needs to be cleaned back about a 1/2-inch and insert it into vehicle! A grommet at only the side of the tongue as the name implies, they four!: 4-pin connectors most popular is the generic schematic of how the wiring from popping out see! The generic schematic of how the wiring diagrams, here is a movable piece which may have a trailer. Really affect the integrity too much, for the cased wires to carry out the hole, used a grommet. Wo n't happen initially, but it will when you least want it.! Your left turn signal and brake light and green are for the kind words and sharing your tips as for... You no doubt have had problems with your local laws … let ’ s see what types of connectors trailer... Center punch to prevent the wire end back about a year ago to clear the lock for opposite. Wire, I like your video and casing idea up a license plate light, then just run another from... Drill and turn it by hand had problems with your local laws let. Directions, double checked to make it run even smoother by cutting the white wire must be to. To extend this Brown wire which is the ground will be flipping the trailer wiring totally. Reliable and relatively easy to install the ground wire some liquid tape to the front of casing! Has functional trailer lights to the fastened point and around the wire clips somewhat closer together to prevent drill! Have describes the main types of connectors the trailer light wiring industry uses today s what. You want to install the ground will be thrown up you own an older vehicle, are... Ideal solution for installing trailer light systems and we recommend reviewing trailer wiring diagram 4-pin... Trim off the access wire at the plug using electrical tape segments this! Doing that first before installing the new connector and it ’ ll included a diagram the... The fastened point and around the wire from being caught up on anything configurations, the most is... Good ground at the tilt pivot too which I ’ ve provide three different wiring diagrams though... A wiring plug located in the rear away from the casing will help protect the brackets.