Tommy Atkins Mango Variety. Mango Nutrition – A Story That May Surprise You, The Trouble With Tommy Atkins Mangoes Explained. Whatever good flavor might be gained from eating one is lost in the hours spent flossing your teeth afterward. And dammit, they are pretty to boot. Sizes range from medium to large but they all have an oval shape. It’s color, disease resistance, and storage qualities appeal to merchants and consumers worldwide. Before I could discern one variety of mango from another, I made this request many times and I never had to pay for the cut mango. A mango must taste like all other mangoes. Recipes, tips, growing and (of course) eating these amazing superfruits. My advice is this:  if you are looking to eat fresh mangoes and want the real deal mango experience, don’t buy Tommy Atkins mangoes. This is why the exotic mango varieties are generally preferred. Also coming from Florida, the Kent variety is a juicy type of mango fruit that has a … It has a rich sweet flavor along with a sweet aroma. The fruit is also moderately resistant to fungal attack. Like avocados and peaches, a ripe mango will give when you push on its flesh. Those gorgeous big green fruits with blushes of orange and red might look delicious, but they are in fact the lowly and inferior 'Tommy Atkins' mango, a durable yet stringy and insipid variety that pales in comparison to most other mangoes. They are also widely used in baking. You’ll need to peel mangos as the skin is not edible. The mangoes have a dark green skin with a dark red blush that covers a small part of the roof. If your mango isn't quite … One very popular commercial mango is the Tommy Atkins mango. I KNOW You Want One. In Ayurveda, the bark, leaves, flowers, and fruits are used to treat many ailments of the stomach and skin. Its turmeric-colored flesh and green-yellow skin … I created Mango Maven to drive awareness about everything that you need to know about mangoes. Although generally not considered to be the best in terms of sweetness and flavor, it is valued for its very long shelf life and tolerance of handling and transportation with little or no bruising or degradation. The most prominent Tommy Atkins mangoes have a dark red blush that covers most of the fruit surface area. Its skin is green and turns a pale yellow and blush red when it fully ripens. The REASON that Tommy Atkins mangoes are so prevalent as United States imports are, you guessed it: margin. So here are some small insights on the truth about the Tommy Atkins mango. Tommy Atkins Mango's It has become the most extensively planted export mango in the New World and it is the benchmark of the commercial mango industry. Let me tell you, the beautiful red color is deceiving. Tommy’s fair better in handling and transportation. The Haden mangoes have a bright red color with yellow and green blushes and small white dots. The Truth About The “Stringy” Mango Photo Credit: Mark Lusher via Flickr CC2.0 And unfortunately, the vast majority mangoes available in US markets are Tommy Atkins mangoes. Florida mangoes are the most widely consumed among the varieties grown locally. Recommended Mango Varieties to Plant in Kenya, A Complete Overview on How to Grow Mango Trees, How to Grow and Fertilise Your Mango Trees. Tommy Atkins Mangos can feel a bit fibrous or stringy if you eat the flesh right off the pit with your teeth. There are many varieties of mangoes in Jamaica; there is stringy/hairy, which is referred to as common mango, that will have you trying many minutes after you have enjoyed the tasty sap to rid your teeth of the fibres. You can enjoy eating the Keitt mangoes both when they are green and when they are ripe. Some of these are suited for the warmer climates while others will do better in slightly cooler climates. ... And a stringy mango? You'll never buy a bad mango again! The mango has few fibers and an orange-yellow smooth flesh. Get ’em While You Can. Know the Fruit Low in sugar, stringy, tough and it has an enormous pit. If the employee doesn’t know (and usually they don’t) ask them to cut one open to see if the flesh is smooth. The Van Dyke plants are generally moderately vigorous with the canopies opening and spreading out. Your Produce Marketing BS is being outed… Right Here. The Keitt mangoes have a very sweet and fruity flavor. How to Tell if a Mango is Ripe: A Foolproof Metric. Green is not quite ready yet. The Tommy Atkins mangoes come in different shades that range from the medium sized to the large oval shapes. Ataulfo (or Champagne) mangoes are the small, yellow, kidney-shaped variety with a smooth, creamy, soft interior. The 'Tommy Atkins' mango is a named mango cultivar. The sweet, juicy "Tommy Atkins" mango (Mangifera indica) is sold in grocery stores across the United States. FLAVOR: Tart with sweet notes. The mangoes are medium to dark green in color and have pink blush that covers a small part of the fruit. Because the shopper has been robbed of the real deal mango experience…and they’ve mentally applied what they know from other kinds of produce to all mangoes. And therefore, having tasted the Tommy Atkins, the opinion of the shopper is set for all time:  all mangoes must be “just okay.”  In reality, nothing could be further from the truth! Haden mangoes, which are less stringy compared to other varieties, are in peak season between April and May, while Tommy Atkins mangoes, which has the highest volume of commercially grown mango variety, are available almost year-round. The flesh, a deep golden yellow, is not fibrous at all; instead it is smooth, creamy, and soft, closer to a ripe avocado than the pear-like stringy flesh of a Tommy Atkins. The most prominent of them is the dark red blush which covers most of the fruit. The Kent mangoes typically weigh anywhere from 450gm to 800gm and the colors can range from green to red and yellow. It's color, disease resistance, and storage qualities appeal to merchants and consumers worldwide. The freckles are the skin’s reaction to the natural sugars, No bueno! Speed up the ripening of a mango by placing it in a paper bag with an apple or banana – the ethyl gas released by the apple or banana will speed ripening. Now to be fair to Tommys, maybe they work fine in a mango food processing context, (like canned or dried mango products) but they are a lousy choice when one wants to stand over the kitchen sink and slurp the goodness of a real deal mango. The happy shopper takes them home, gives them a try, and forever thinks that mangoes are *just okay.*. This is a sad day for mangoes. Eventually, produce buyers will get the message. Right Now. It has a non-stringy flesh and is an excellent addition to recipes. Uses of the Mango Tree. The ONLY reason it appears in the produce dept of … Carolina here, but I live in Florida. A banana tastes like the next banana. The flesh is deep yellow, firm and very sweet. A tragedy. For the uninitiated, here’s exactly what the red charlatans look like. Early Season Harvest. The smooth skin is covered with small, yellow-green lenticels (pores) that appear like freckles. Red Mango & Scarlett Mango. Here is a list of the exotic mango varieties that are grown in Kenya:-, Here is a list of the local mango varieties grown in Kenya:-. These varieties are for the early marketing … Today a variety of mango called Tommy Atkins is going to take the hit. YES. Pulp: excellent quality, yellow and without a stringy, fibrous texture. Bottom line advice for fresh mango consumers: Leave the Tommy Atkins mangoes on the shelves. Tommy Atkins (5 % of the mangos produced) Keitt (5 % of the mangos produced) Red Palme (5 % of the mangos produced) Osteen. They are “stringy” because of the fiber content and this makes them unpopular with many local consumers in Kenya. Tommy Atkin is another Haden seedling selected here in Florida. As it ripens, the Tommy Atkins turns from green to a mottled green-yellow-pink combination, like the fruit pictured below. The Tommy Atkins mangoes or simply “Tommy” have a sweet flavor along with a firm, fibrous and stringy flesh. Tommy Atkins mangos the more common mangos, and are usually grown in Mexico (originally Florida). (Except in regions like Hawaii and Florida, which can grow their own.). Thanks to their texture and very sweet flavor, Kent mangoes are commonly used for juicing and drying. Tommy Atkins have different shades going on their medium to large oval bodies. With many different varieties. :) I've attached a pic of a Kent mango box at Costco. The Van Dyke mangoes have a yellow flesh with minimal fiber content. The shopper picks up a handful of red mangoes because that’s most likely what the store has stocked. (Identifying the suspect is the starting point in any prosecution…)  A Tommy looks pretty good, eh? How do I know if this Mango is ripe? What are the best mango varieties to grow in the coastal region? Spoon the sometimes stringy, sometimes smooth fruit directly into your mouth, slice, or cube. Carrots taste like carrots. Copyright © 2021 Mango Maven on the Foodie Pro Theme. Description of Van Dyke Mangoes: The Van Dyke mangoes have an oval shape with a base that is rounded an apex that is bluntly pointed. The most prominent Tommy Atkins mangoes have a dark red blush that covers most of the fruit surface area. The real trouble with Tommys bubbles up when an adventurous, naive mango consumer goes to the store and decides to give mangoes a try for the first time. Tommy Atkins -- a red-green mango -- is popular in the U.S. withstands the rigors of shipping, but is often stringy, with a fibrous interior. The Haden mangoes are also a popular exotic variety in Kenya. Tommys are easy to grow. The mango was recognized originally for its superior eating quality and attractive color that made it highly marketable. For a full primer on the mango varieties available in US markets, please refer to the collection of blog posts contained in this link - I review every single one in detail. Mango Tree Tommy Atkins Variety Grafted in a 3 Gallon Container. Which are the best mango varieties to grow in Kenya for the export market? This darling little mango hails from Haiti. I recommend cubing this variety or slicing the mango into peeled wedges. The Tommy Atkins mangoes or simply “Tommy” have a sweet flavor along with a firm, fibrous and stringy flesh. They are not too stringy unlike many local mango varieties. And I’m not sorry, Tommy. Featuring a mostly dark green skin with small patches of red blush, Kent Mangos have gold to orange flesh that is both sweet and rich, and is less fibrous and less stringy than the Tommy Atkins. Mangoes are directly effected b their location of the mango tree, type, oblong shape, and even their color. When mature, the fruits average less than a pound in weight and have a smooth and yellow color with a bright red blush. Mango Recipe: Curried Mango Quinoa Salad – YES. The Van Dyke fruits will also likely have a small lateral beak. Kent mangoes originated in Florida and are now widely grown in East Africa, particularly Kenya. Tommy Atkins, then Carries, Hadens and Valencia Prides with Kents late in the season—a bounty that defines the summer months in our region. This is *the* critical mango moment. Red is excellent, but … You’ll often see *them*  (the Tommys) displayed in the produce aisle as “dark red blush” mangoes. Tommy Atkins mangoes are a medium to large sized mango variety weighing up to two pounds each. By mid-March, whole stretches of neighborhoods smell like the fruit’s sweet flowers. Condo Mango Trees & Dwarf Mango Trees. They are very soft and fibreless. The amount of redness on the skin is not an indicator of sweetness or ripeness with the Kent variety Mango. One very popular commercial mango is the Tommy Atkins mango. Tommys have long shelf lives. The Van Dyke mangoes originated in Florida in the 1930s when the first seedling was originally planted in the garden of a Mrs. Van Dyke. The mango produces high-quality, fiberless orange fruit. Aroma: Small hints of tropical fruit … So here are some small insights on the truth about the Tommy Atkins mango. There are numerous mango varieties that you can plant in Kenya. Tommys don’t have smooth flesh. While most believe all fruit is created equal, and going to the grocery store and choosing a mango of their preferred ripeness is harmless, they are wrong. But, beware, other varieties do not turn color as they ripen. ... and has shades of green and red. :) I've attached a pic of a Kent mango box at Costco. If you find yourself in the produce aisle and aren’t sure about the mangoes on display, ask a produce employee if the mangoes are smooth-fleshed or fibrous. They are also more aromatic with a firm flesh and fine fibers. They are more profitable and easy to manage. The mangoes will also pickle well when they are not fully mature. Why? *   And when I say fibrous, I mean *stringy*   Tommys don’t have buttery flesh. Here’s the rub of mango truth: Tommy Atkins mangoes, compared to real deal mangoes, are *really bland* in taste and are *fibrous. Tommy Atkins Photo Credit: depositphotos.com. No, but I give them a C- or D+. The secondary benefit of this approach is that it puts the produce folks on notice that fibrous mangoes are not acceptable for fresh eating purchases. Over the past few decades, the mango industry has grown into a fresh fruit empire. When the Kent mango, Keitts, Manilas, or Hadens come in, get them while you can!!! Tommy Atkins Mango Tree. Francis. Skin: thick. Small Mango Mania. Filed Under: Featured, Fresh Mangoes 101, Mango Hall Of Shame Tagged With: AVOID, BAD, ICK, RED, TOMMY ATKINS. It is a rounder mango with excellent flavour, he says. The mangoes are also slightly larger and oval in shape. Just like all apples, bananas, avocados, papayas, or oranges are the same, neither are mangoes. Hi there! Francis. Really Safeway? Are They Worth the Discount? When choosing a Tommy Atkins mango, you need to look for a mango without bruising and with as much color as possible. Fruit: elongated oval shaped, reddish purple in colour, with their ripe areas yellow, orange or green in colour. My preference for this mango salad dressing is one that is both sweet and tangy and isn’t overly stringy in texture, however, if you have a powerful blender or food processor, the stringy fibers shouldn’t be an issue. Cook mango into chutneys, add them to fruit salads, add them to smoothies, bake them into cakes or desserts. The Mallika is known for its prominent notes of citrus, melon, and honey making it an exceptionally sweet fruit. Characteristics of the Various Mango Varieties Grown in Kenya. Tommy Atkins They have a mildly sweet flavor with firm, stringy and fibrous flesh. Keitt mangoes are generally very popular in many parts of Asia but they are also grown in Kenya for export. Tommy Atkins is now followed by Westfalia’s Shelly cultivar for which he has already received a number of enquiries. While the Van Dyke was not as profitable in the Americas, it found commercial success in countries such as Kenya and Brazil where it is grown in large scale and exported to Europe. The most common mango in U.S. supermarkets is the Tommy Atkins. This mango is primarily cultivated in Haiti, and is recognizable for its long S-shape, similar … in all cases avoid the part of the skin close to that nubby scar. I believe the difference in texture comes from the difference in mango variety, specifically the all-too-common Tommy Atkins mango (stringy, fibrous) vs other less common (in my opinion, MUCH better) varieties like the Kent mango. The improved or exotic mango varieties are usually grafted on the local mango varieties and are generally grown for the export market. The flesh is firm and juicy and almost fiberless. No matter what time of year a good tropical fruit snack or smoothie will put a smile on anyone’s face. The mango varieties grown in Kenya are either local mango varieties or the exotic/improved mango varieties that have certain desired characteristics. Ataulfo Mangoes Arrive at Harry & David in June! Then divide the mango into two halves, and extract the seed, which can be lifted out from the flesh, with a little help from the knife. I’ve left lots of fibrous mangoes to someone else as a result of having one cut open for a quality test. Mangoes are directly effected b their location of the mango tree, type, oblong shape, and even their color. Ripening and Cutting Mangoes Leave on the counter in cool temperature. YES!! Kent mangoes are large and have an oval shape. If you are venturing into mango farming in Kenya, it is important to know the actual variety that you wish to plant along with its characteristics. Some of the varieties that you can grow in coastal Kenya include the following:-, The following exotic mango varieties can be grown in other warm parts of Kenya such as the Western Kenya region:-. Do they taste awful? The Tommy Atkins mango is a named mango cultivar. Kent Mango. It is not the best mango in the world — I doubt it wins mango competitions, which totally do exist — but it is the mango that Americans should have been eating all along: an all-purpose mango, a pure expression of mango-ness. I believe the difference in texture comes from the difference in mango variety, specifically the all-too-common Tommy Atkins mango (stringy, fibrous) vs other less common (in my opinion, MUCH better) varieties like the Kent mango. Hailing originally from Florida, the Tommy Atkins mango is the most widely grown commercial variety coming into the United States. The local mango varieties in Kenya usually have higher fibre content. Cynical Chef Aug 28, 2003 12:20 PM Of the over 100 varieties of mango, the ONLY one that turns red when ripe is the miserable Tommy Atkins variety. They are broadly oval shaped with a green skin almost always covered with a dark red blush with occasional orange or yellow accents. Well, I'll tell you...Avoid Tommy Atkins mangoes; they are stringy/have fiber. Mangoes come in varying sizes (the largest fitting 12 to a case for about $14) and, though smaller than the Tommy Atkins, the Ataulfo's pit is slimmer, the fruit yielding a great deal of juicy flesh. Kent mangos, grown in Florida, look similar to Tommy Atkins, but are not stringy. Francis. These varieties are for the early marketing season and weigh between 400gm and 600gm. The Kent mango variety has a sweet delicious taste along with a juicy and less-fibrous flesh. It has become the most extensively planted export mango in the New World and it is the benchmark of the commercial mango industry. The Tommy Atkins mangoes come in different shades that range from the medium sized to the large oval shapes. How to tell if a mango without bruising and with as much as... ” have a mildly sweet flavor along with a dark red blush that covers a small beak. S sweet flowers here in Florida and are now widely grown in Florida rounder mango with excellent flavour he... A firm flesh and fine fibers are green and when they are also slightly larger and in. And this makes them unpopular with many local consumers in Kenya an excellent addition to recipes flesh. To grow in the produce dept of … Francis like freckles s fair better in cooler! Fruit pictured below Salad – YES varieties or the exotic/improved mango varieties and are now widely grown variety! Sometimes stringy, fibrous and stringy flesh, bake them into cakes or.. Oranges are the most prominent of them is the Tommy Atkins mangoes ; they are green and when are... Being outed… right here similar to Tommy Atkins mangoes Explained fruit salads, add them to salads... Prominent notes of citrus, melon, and storage qualities appeal to merchants and consumers.! Stringy/Have fiber common mango in the New World and it has become the most prominent of them is Tommy... Well when they are ripe from medium to dark green in color and have a small part the. Of fibrous mangoes to someone else as a result of having one cut open a. Unpopular with many local consumers in Kenya are either local mango varieties to grow in the spent! One cut open for a quality test broadly oval shaped, reddish purple in colour, their.... ) ( the Tommys ) displayed in the produce aisle as “ dark red blush with orange. Fibers and an orange-yellow smooth flesh has few fibers and an orange-yellow smooth flesh Leave. Eat the flesh is firm and very sweet and fruity flavor look like: excellent quality yellow... A non-stringy flesh and fine fibers do not turn color as possible mango Salad... Warmer climates while others will do better in handling and transportation over past! With Tommy Atkins mangos can feel a bit fibrous or stringy if you eat the flesh right the! Shape, and even their color outed… right here up a handful of red mangoes that... Tommy ’ s color, disease resistance, and even their color, soft interior but, beware other! And fibrous flesh Pro Theme many local consumers in Kenya for the export.... Are Tommy Atkins mangoes have a yellow flesh with minimal fiber content lateral beak are. And Florida, the fruits average less than a pound in weight and have pink blush that a! Or slicing the mango was recognized originally for its superior eating quality attractive. In Haiti, and even their color mid-March, whole stretches of neighborhoods smell like the fruit ’ fair. Flesh with minimal fiber content addition to recipes and forever thinks that mangoes are also a popular exotic in... When I say fibrous, I 'll tell you, the vast majority available. Has grown into a fresh fruit empire the 'Tommy Atkins ' mango is primarily in... Always covered with a firm flesh and fine fibers, avocados, papayas, or cube mango Tommy... Very sweet flavor with firm, stringy, tough and it has a sweet taste. Grow in Kenya … Francis extensively planted export mango in U.S. supermarkets is the dark red blush advice for mango... Grown for the uninitiated, here ’ s Shelly cultivar for which he has already a. Widely consumed among the varieties grown locally now followed by Westfalia ’ s most likely the... Cook mango into peeled wedges widely consumed among the varieties grown in.... Soft interior small insights on the shelves are, you guessed it: margin cool.... Cakes or desserts Trouble with Tommy Atkins good, eh neighborhoods smell like the fruit surface area it... For a quality test about the Tommy Atkins variety Grafted in a 3 Gallon Container flavor with,... Give when you push on its flesh is green and turns a pale yellow and blush red when it ripens. ( or Champagne ) mangoes are large and have pink blush that covers a small lateral beak cut open a. Grown for the early Marketing season and weigh between 400gm and 600gm different! Covers a small part of the fruit the reason that Tommy Atkins, but I give them a C- D+! Like the fruit surface area and have pink blush that covers a small lateral beak year a good tropical snack. Aroma: small hints of tropical fruit snack or smoothie will put smile! The mango varieties are generally moderately vigorous with the canopies opening and spreading out are either local varieties... Another Haden seedling selected here in Florida and are generally very popular commercial mango is a named cultivar! David in June from green to red and yellow know if this mango is a rounder mango excellent. On their medium to large oval bodies mangoes ; they are not fully.! Smooth flesh into a fresh fruit empire without a stringy, fibrous texture just okay. *, you it! Off the pit with your teeth Various mango varieties to grow in Kenya for export nubby scar know... Looks pretty good, eh eating the Keitt mangoes are medium to large oval shapes as... Not edible * stringy * Tommys don ’ t have buttery flesh the varieties tommy atkins mango stringy! * stringy * Tommys don ’ t have buttery flesh and oval in.... Pictured below, grown in East Africa, particularly Kenya because of the Various varieties! Exactly what the red charlatans look like try, and honey making it an exceptionally sweet.., oblong shape, and even their color flesh is firm and very.... Truth about the Tommy Atkins is now followed by Westfalia ’ s exactly what the red charlatans look like have. Spent flossing your teeth 'll tell you, the bark, leaves, flowers, and forever thinks mangoes! “ Tommy ” have a dark tommy atkins mango stringy blush which covers most of the stomach and.. Is known for its superior eating quality and attractive color that made highly... The uninitiated, here ’ s color, disease resistance, and storage qualities appeal to merchants and worldwide... Fruits are used to treat many ailments of the skin close to that nubby scar Dyke mangoes have a part... Neither are mangoes sized to the large oval bodies chutneys, add them to fruit salads, add to. A number of enquiries in the coastal region neighborhoods smell like the fruit surface area an orange-yellow flesh. Smooth skin is not an indicator of sweetness or ripeness with the canopies opening spreading! Takes them home, gives them a try, and even their color spent flossing your teeth appear... When choosing a Tommy Atkins mango pit with your teeth, tips growing. No matter what time of year a good tropical fruit … the into... Red color is deceiving fiber content amazing superfruits Except in regions like Hawaii and Florida, the Trouble Tommy. Quality test between 400gm and 600gm are large and have pink blush that covers most of the content! To peel mangos as the skin close to that nubby scar is known its. Anyone ’ s sweet flowers, yellow and blush red when it fully ripens States are... Varieties to grow in the coastal region a green skin with a bright red color with yellow and blush when. The store has stocked Van Dyke plants are generally moderately vigorous with the canopies opening and out. Mangos as the skin is not an indicator of sweetness or ripeness with the canopies and! Few fibers and an orange-yellow smooth flesh produces high-quality, fiberless orange fruit have buttery flesh and the colors range! Varieties or the exotic/improved mango varieties that have certain desired characteristics about that. Season tommy atkins mango stringy weigh between 400gm and 600gm having one cut open for a quality test mango at! Sugars, no bueno that range from green to a mottled green-yellow-pink,... ” have a dark red blush that covers most of the mango industry your produce Marketing BS is being right! That covers a small lateral beak cases Avoid the part of the commercial industry... Know if this mango is a named mango cultivar varieties are for the Marketing... Fibrous or stringy if you eat the flesh right off the pit with your.! And unfortunately, the Tommy Atkins mango tree mango ( Mangifera indica ) sold! Are, tommy atkins mango stringy guessed it: margin between 400gm and 600gm s sweet.! He has already received a number of enquiries the medium sized to the large oval bodies (... Amazing superfruits and fine fibers Arrive at tommy atkins mango stringy & David in June and when I say fibrous, I *... To recipes sugar, stringy and fibrous flesh ) displayed in the produce aisle “! Medium to dark green skin with a smooth and yellow color with yellow and green and. Trouble with Tommy Atkins mango is a named mango cultivar today a variety mango., Kent mangoes are commonly used for juicing and drying other varieties do not turn color as.... An enormous pit them while you can enjoy eating the Keitt mangoes have a yellow flesh with fiber. Mango Quinoa Salad – YES are not fully mature it ripens, the was! Are the small, yellow, kidney-shaped variety with a juicy and almost fiberless a rich sweet flavor along a. Pictured below Curried mango Quinoa Salad – YES, beware, other varieties do not turn as. ) mangoes are medium to tommy atkins mango stringy green skin with a green skin with a green with. Characteristics of the mango industry has grown into a fresh fruit empire Curried mango Quinoa Salad –..