Please let me know if you need any more information regarding speaker/amp/sub model details. Your write ups are very informative. Things like the following can cause problems (I have seen this happen many times! That’s because each speaker’s design is a bit different from the next. You can use 2 subwoofers, but the total load will have to be 4 ohms (unless it supports 2 ohms in bridged mode. Your article is the first that has helped an amateur like me start to understand this stuff…so thank you so much for that. I don’t need front and rear speakers and I have a 2 channel Sony XM-1502SX amp lying around which will fit under the seat. I got one off of eBay for under $100 new in the box. Your analysis was on point. The sound quality will be exactly the same. – I would try connecting the additional 2 RCAs at the amp to channels 3 & 4 and set the switch to 1/2/3/4. I would be 100% sure you have a very good ground connection and there are no connection issues before spending the money, however. Not all amps use both when 2 channels are bridged. My advice is to pick up a good amp wiring kit and the tools you need beforehand. My current setup is Sony XAV-AX5500, Focal Integration ISS 165, Focal RCX-165, and 1 Pioneer TS-SW2002D2 subwoofer. All tip submissions are carefully reviewed before being published. Thanks. The formula for finding total impedance for speakers wired in series is Z1 + Z2 + Z3 …. There’s a good chance the front speakers (amp-driven) will not change in volume proportionately with the rear (radio-driven) speakers when you turn up the radio’s volume. By signing up you are agreeing to receive emails according to our privacy policy. ( Original connection ) Can you wire three dual 4 ohm kicker l5 subs at 1 ohm? Long story short, the tweeters, since they’re 8 ohm and not 4 ohm, will never develop the same power across them as the 6x9s at the same output level of the amp. Normally you can (optionally) change tracks for apps like Pandora or Spotify, etc, from your phone. Shown: Example of a 4-channel amp bridged to 2 channels. Should I just keep the Factory Sub wired to the Harness when i’m wiring the aftermarket harness together?. It’s hard to say more without more info in this case. I would say to wire up the rear speakers and see what you think since it will support a front/rear fader in 4 channel mode. Hello again, Saptarshi. That’s something useful to keep in mind. Honestly, the best thing to do at this point is to get a good quality line-level converter. In all cases you should a wire that switches on/off with the ignition switch ACC (accessory) position. If you’re set on using a single 4 channel amp, I would go: I have a 2 channel head unit without rca output. Wiring in series increases the impedance of your system. Upon thinking it through, it seems there is no input signal for the sub, but it worked with the previous amplifier and I’m almost certain I’ve set it up the same way as the old amplifier was connected. The little amp can’t run below 4 ohms. All equipment can be found on eBay . I am 48 and no stranger to connecting amps and subs. If you’re getting lower sound from the components than the coaxial speakers, I’m not really surprised. Afterwards, close the circuit by connecting the negative wires to the negative port on the output jack. Regarding your question about the power rating, 25W should be fine but there’s certainly no harm in getting ones with higher power ratings if there’s not much difference in price. To channel 2, I’ve attached the lower right side speakers Sorry if its been asked already. In most cases, it’s much better to connect to them at the harness and not the door. HU Model: Kenwood 2DIN DPX-U5120. Now connect the grey wire with a black stripe from the kicker harness to that same speakers negative wire. Amplifiers are designed to handle a minimum speaker load. my friend has 4 Kicker S12L5 and the same amp and man i can hardly sit in his car. Yep, you can use capacitors in series. wikiHow's Content Management Team carefully monitors the work from our editorial staff to ensure that each article is backed by trusted research and meets our high quality standards. However, if we add one 4 ohm power resistor in series with each speaker we can use the math to our advantage. They have both single & double DIN versions but I found more of what I wanted in the single DIN ones. amps), How to get around the lack of a front/rear fader. Also the specific Auditor model number is not listed either so I’ll go by the standard suggestion here: 1. Each speaker added will also raise the impedance of the system. Understand zone 2 speakers would not have the power of zone 1, but could adjust volume in that zone. The problem there is you’d be losing 250W across the resistor – not at all what we want in that case. You can always change it later if you’d like. Thanks for your reply. System 2: 2 speakers in parallel to each front channel = 2 Ohms x 2 + 1 subwoofer wired for 4 or 2 Ohms on the rear channels bridged for more power. Currently have polk audio pa4a head unit, wet sounds 4 channel amp and 4 6.5 wet sounds speakers. I was mistaken about the ohm rating. Hi Jeff. Then, wire the amp to the first speaker and connect the remaining speakers. Is FAI-3a the same as the SLC? You can find power resistors at Amazon & eBay. – There’s another option: Use the front and rear channels for the 4 front and rear speakers, then pick up an affordable powered subwoofer. Some factory systems make it hard to find a +12V standard wire. I know its mono but i thought in the input i can also have 4channels. This is the first and best choice for most modern 4 channel amps. Hi Neil – yes if the Rockford works fine I would keep it. Works like a charm now. Then you connect the negative wire of speaker A to the positive wire of speaker B. It can be done, though, yes. Realistically, it depends on how hard you drive them. Low-end bass is hard on small speakers and by blocking it with the crossover you can drive them harder and with more clarity. Shown: An example of how to measure speaker impedance (Ohms) with a multimeter. That takes a huge resistor. Connect the ch. I am SO grateful. 1 & 2 on the amp for that. I recall seeing the TS S20s before and wondering why they used an 8 ohm driver – that’s odd. To learn more, including how to calculate the total impedance of all your speakers, read on! You’ll be able to drive 2 front speakers with good volume and bridge the rear channels for a sub (with ok power) as well. Thanks. Can I connect to RL and RR. Just not sure about the RCA connection from the head unit to the amp. Hey Marty thanks so much for all the great info! It is just a steady low hum which goes on and off. I would like to buy a 5 channel amplifier, to get sound to 4 speakers and one subwoofer. It’s important to be sure you’re not measuring across substances that can interfere with your measurement. Actually, there are a lot of newer head units that are much better than the Sony you have. Because you need different adapter for it. But I want to know if it will damage the amp or the active subwoofer. – Infinity Dual-coil Subwoofer :). However, I’ve come up with a sort of solution that helps a bit! Would really like it to sound great/clear with some serious bass too, and would spend a little more to achieve this. I’m replacing a 6-channel amplifier with a new 6-channel amplifier. Do not wire your system with the battery hooked up. Ch B – Connect sub – Connect the 2 subwoofer RCAs from the Sony to the amp, let’s say ch. Before becoming an engineer, I was a professional installer and still enjoy audio electronics projects & sound as a hobby. This article was co-authored by our trained team of editors and researchers who validated it for accuracy and comprehensiveness. Bridged mode is a flexible way to get more power from 2 channels (in this case the rear channels, for example). Ch A – Connect 2 front speakers It’s 4 channel with only speaker line out (no rca). • Rear 6x9s To drive 4 speakers and a sub with a single 4-channel amp you’ll have to make a few compromises. NOTE! Since your Pioneer amp has the added bonus of RCA output jacks, here’s how you’d do it: Sony MEX-BT2500 speaker outputs -> line level adapter -> RCA to inputs on Pioneer amp -> RCA outputs to Coustic amplifier. Is this possible?? How do i wire kicker cvr12in dual voice coil speakers parallel with dei 2400d amp - Answered by a verified Auto Mechanic We use cookies to give you the best possible experience on our website. 48/14 = 3.43 Ohms (rounded), You can also use an impedance calculator such as this one. The fronts are about gone and the rears are starting to rattle. System 1: 2 speakers (parallel wiring) to each front channel = 2 Ohms x 2 + 1 subwoofer wired for 4 Ohms on the rear channels bridged for more power. How to connect a 2 ch. Using component speakers with it is a waste of money since you’ll never get to hear the full range of sound they can produce. What is the best choice gauge for an amp that has 4 gauge power connections? 2. Yes that’s right, or just use a wiring harness adapter so you don’t have to cut the factory wiring. That will make it easier to connect multiple speakers if you need to. Copyright © 2017-2021 SoundCertified.com. An amp with built-in Bluetooth receiver will be better (Rockville and some other brands have some good ones that can run your whole system). (You can also get a double DIN version of the kit and use ANY head unit.). Then you can just run an RCA cable from the RCA outputs of the Pioneer amp to the 2nd amp, called “daisy chaining” them sometimes. This time it would look like this: 1) Multiply the values. If you’re using a 4 channel amp like in setup #1 as you said, you’ll just ignore the Zone 2 RCA outputs. You really don’t have many options, but running it on one 4 ohm coil would be the best thing to do for now. Hmm, that’s an odd issue you’re having. – This is probably an issue with not having a signal to the last 2 channels (5 & 6) where you would have the subwoofer bridged Should I just delete the rear door speakers? You can definitely use a single 4 channel amp that’s 2Ω capable to run all 4 pairs of speakers if you like. It’s a lot better to start on the right foot and be ready at installation time. (For example “1000W” may actually be only about 250-300W or etc). In example #3 I showed you earlier, it’s not possible to use two 4 ohm speakers in parallel with an amp that can’t handle 2 ohm loads. Burning out your amp’s output stages is not a nice surprise. 2 Rockford Fosgate 8 ohm 10″ subs in a dual sub box (RFZ1810) Getting wiring through the door is often a terrible job and in my experience the factory speaker wiring going to the doors is good enough. No, in most cases you can’t as monoblock amps usually only produce a low-pass (bass) output. Likewise for the right channel speakers on ch. One more question. http://cie-wc.edu/Series_Parallel_9_14.pdf, http://www.gollihurmusic.com/faq/31-OHMS_AND_IMPEDANCE_FROM_THE_OUTPUT_SPEAKER_PERSPECTIVE.html, consider supporting our work with a contribution to wikiHow. You just saved me so much heartache, time spent, and money. You added a 4 ohm resistor to each 4 ohm speaker, then hooked them in parallel to get your 4 ohms. For the head unit, here’s a great Pioneer unit with Bluetooth, front/rear/sub RCA outputs, and much more for about $80. Of the three choices, I think #2 and #3 are the ones you’d (most likely) be happy with. How actually can i install them so that i can get loud and also best sound quality. Connect a decent quality line level adapter to the head unit speaker outputs. Thanks (Sub is Fusion MS-SW10). Ok, these may not be available where you are, but they’re good examples of what I’m referring to: Shown: High power resistors that can be used with a 4 channel amp when adding more speakers. Here’s an example chart to help you know what to expect when measuring speakers. The KM84 speakers feature titantium dome tweeters like those that come in the Wet Sounds REVO 8, but these speakers are significantly cheaper while giving you very similar sound quality. Sure, and good luck with your installation! With the speaker disconnected, touch the speaker terminals with the meter probes. That should be enough in most cases: Not totally silent in the rear, but most of the volume towards the front speakers. Not sure where it leads….perhaps to the controls on the driver cockpit area. It won’t hurt anything but 8 ohms subwoofers are best suited for home amps & not car amps. Thank you, I’ll definitely spread the word about your site on my forums. Seems like it shouldn’t be that complicated…but I’m stumped. I also replaced the 4 door speakers with Pioneer TS-A652F 6.5 3 way speakers, and a kicker pt250 BassStation 10″ powered sub. To channel 4, I’ve attached the upper right side speakers So say you have two speakers with impedances of 6 Ohms and 8 Ohms. Thanks again! (The KMM-xxxx series for example). Finally, the circuit is complete when you connect the negative wire of speaker B to the negative output terminal of your amp. If you want blue, ground the blue wire. I’d love to hear from you and make this post even more helpful. So, if you're not using a controller and just want to chose which color the speakers stay constantly, you just have to ground the corresponding wire or wires. How does it work when the amplifier got a harness for all the wires to each 4 speakers? What is the best choice gauge for an amp that has 4 gauge power conecctions? Plus you’ll often pay close to the same for the better ones, too. Do note that the 6×9 speakers are 4 ohms each and the tweeters are 8 ohms each. And then how I connect speakers and 1 sub? I recommend a model with adjustable level outputs (PAC and Scosche make some very good ones). Thanks to all authors for creating a page that has been read 23,647 times. Replace the negative battery cable … Let’s say I left my 2 tweeters hooked up to run off my HU, that would leave my 4 speakers + 1 sub. The amp output to FL, FR, RL, RR. Using these will allow you to keep the total speaker load (speaker Ohms the amp sees) to a safe level so the amp won’t get damaged. I really appreciate finding this information here. The 3rd goes toward the front of the boat away from the amplifier. 2. If using speaker level inputs on the amp, use the connections shown above. For example, we usually have a label on a speaker telling us if it’s 2 ohms, 4 ohms, and so forth. Lorenzo is back and is going to show you how to wire your Speakers and Subwoofers to your Amplifier!! System 3: 2 speakers on each front channel (parallel wiring) wired with extra parts for 4 ohms per channel + 1 subwoofer wired for 4 ohms minimum. switch or RCA Y adapters), then back from the amp to the factory front speaker wiring as I mention in the article (easier doing it at the dash). Last Updated: June 11, 2020 The problem with that, however, is you’re giving up 2 channels that could be used later for a subwoofer or other speakers. If you wire 2 speakers and the tweeters at the same time it will end up with less than 2 ohms total speaker load, which isn’t ok. Note that system #1 shows using a 2 ohm capable amplifier. The problem is that when people talk about an amp’s power rating they’re sometimes mislead into thinking the “peak” or “max” rating is the correct one. While it’s true that nearly all amps with any “real” power today can be bridged from 2 channels to 1 channel (called “mono”, or bridging) for more power, some can’t. Wiring in series means that you start by connecting the positive output terminal of your amp to the positive wire on speaker A. Also one question, can Co-axial and Subs share power from amp(I was thinking to have 4 speakers on 4 channels and rear Co-axial to share power with sub. If you want to make it easy, get a pre-loaded ported sub box and you’ll be all set. The GM-D8604 has plenty of power so there’s no need for bridging. (I was thinking of parallel a speaker with a tweeter and hook them in bridged mode, but i am unsure whether the wattage will be too high for the tweeters). Well, there’s one issue with what you mentioned and that is you won’t be able to get 160W RMS 4 ways with stereo sound for the main speakers and a sub. But you can always try it and see how it works for you. Jason. The best thing to do for most of my customers was to use an under-dash kit like this Metra 99-9000 kit I use for installations. Yes the remaining stereo channels would be whatever the specs list, which is 130W RMS @ 4Ω each channel. That way you can safely drive each channel with a 4 ohm load even older amps can handle. You’ll not just save a few dollars but avoid getting ripped off on fake wire gauges. Would there be any difference? Anyway, in this case there’s no “perfect” solution, unfortunately. So the system #1 example is still the best way to do it in that case. Hi Stu. If you haven’t bought the subwoofer amp yet, I would look at getting a class D mono amp as they’re excellent values for your dollar these days. My best advice would be to forget about using the original radio for several reasons. 75 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms (110 watts RMS x 4 at 2 ohms) Diagram – How to wire a 4 channel amp to 4 speakers and a sub, Click to download the printable speaker diagram, Using power resistors for harder installations (4 ohm min. Scott, You can. Plan is to use Setup#1 as shown with (4)Alpine SPS-M601W 4 ohm speakers in parallel. some of the best wiring kits for the money here. However, since a few amps out there can’t handle 2 ohm loads (especially older amps you might have that you’d like to use) I’ve included this just in case. Not sure how much the added clarity will matter to your daughter, but the results are usually very nice to listen to. What size wire gauge is needed to power 2 2000 watt amps? You'll find a ton of great info articles under my How-To & Info menu section or try the search box above. You’ll have outputs for each from the Kenwood which will give you a very good setup you can adjust as needed. Regarding your question, a Google search resulted in this: “The SLC-4 is the EXACT same things as the FAI-3… its just that one is almost exclusively sold in Wal-Mart, while the other is available to all retailers.”. I tried disconnecting the input signal from the amp and it goes away. MY. The biggest one that comes to mind is losing the front/rear fader control. Thank you Marty! You may or may not need a Y adapter for the JL Audio amp but I suspect you won’t. Bridged mode would offer 150W or more to the sub, depending on the amp’s specs. The resistance you measure from a speaker is due to the voice coil’s resistance thanks to the long wire it’s made of. I really appreciate your expert opinion. With the second method do i have stereo sound? If the meter has an auto-ranging function you should be fine. The problem is that each 8 ohm subwoofer will develop 1/2 the power a single 4 ohm model would so it works out about the same as using only one. awesome Marty, btw I’m in Oz & just clicked link for pioneer on amazon, that item they don’t ship down under :( – but Im sure I can source it locally, or other ones similar, I know this might sound silly sorry as I’m not upto date with the tech side of audio, with the hidden head unit being bluetooth does this still mean the operation is all controlled by iPhone/App or remote that comes with head unit if supplied? You give all the right information for a product that the buyer should know. Spring clips are very easy to work with. Car and home speakers are rated by their general Ohms (impedance) rating. Simply press down on the clip, insert the speaker wire, and release. Most of these have excellent features including a 13 band EQ, customizable color, Spotify/Pandora control, USB drive support, loudness, good Bluetooth connectivity & phone call quality, and so much more. Hi George! Have a good day. The JVC only has one set of RCA outputs but you can use it for all 4 amp channels. I recommend at least 25 watt (25W) 4 ohm resistors. Most good 5 channel amps today meet or exceed this, though. Head unit has (6) RCA outputs, Zone 1 line out (front) left/right, zone 2 line out (rear) left/right, zone 1 Sub out left/right. Source(s): wire 2 12 quot kicker cvr 4ohm: https://shortly.im/kNnpr Dear Marty thank you for your reply. 8″ subwoofers are an option or a dual 4 ohm voice coil subwoofer could be used. My problem or question is, why don’t my new speakers alund near as good as the factory speakers that came in my Tahoe? Sounds great and I’ll work with crossover High and Low filters to refine. Thanks, so I use the SLC 4 right after Sony then use the one of the SLC rca outputs to one amp then the other rca output to the other amp? If the amp really is bridgeable, you’ll need to check the manual to make sure you can use both RCA inputs in bridged mode. This article has been viewed 23,647 times. In that case, unfortunately, you’re really limited. What would be the best combination to get best sound output and “left to left/right to right” sound effect? And also I’m getting less sound o/p from Components than Co-axial. No, in this case, since you said you’re planning on using the Pioneer amp for the front & rear speakers, you’ll connect the SLC4’s RCA outputs to the front/rear RCA inputs on the Pioneer amp. Diagram showing how a car amplifier’s Ohm rating works with speakers. I’m not sure which amp you have but here’s how: 1. To do so, a 1 foot section of positive speaker wire and a 1 foot section of negative speaker wire is cut and prepared. However, you’ll want to buy the right kind of resistor. And run a separate amp. (Usually though this isn’t necessary). I don’t know if it is really possible.)? How would the connection radio to amplifier be if the radio doesn’t have a channel output for the sub? Yes, if you’re using a 2-way crossover you won’t need the inline crossover on the tweeter. Hi Jeff. (Assuming you have RCA outputs and you’re not using speaker-level inputs on the amp, which is another option you have too). How To Wire A 4 Channel Amp To 4 Speakers And A Sub: A Detailed Guide With Diagrams. Very few people drive their speakers at full power/full volume. I'd love to help everyone find answers to their questions & enjoy good sound. You should be fine with 50W rated resistors for most 4 channel amps. So i originally had the 4 Channel amp in the car the Clarion XR2420 Running just the extra Sub woofer in the trunk. That’s because the amp’s signal output is higher than the stock radio. FYI, you can also buy a variety of resistors from Parts Express as well if you need more in the future. I think entire right channel is dedicated for SUB and entire Left channel is dedicated to the 4 speakers. I am currently running everything off of the stock amplifier in my 2005 4Runner (previously JBL system). I just got a Pioneer head unit and a 2 channel power amp 400.2/800 bridged plus subs are wired to 4ohms but the subs are 8ohms a piece what in asking how can I set my gains and crossover correctly. I installed the kicker upgrades just fine and per the advice of this forum I purchased the Kicker Key Amp 200.4 ... Are you planning to just wire 4 channel speakers or use bi-amp function to split tweeter and mid/woofer? The slim design helps prevent snagging, while the K-Grip dual-mold connectors employ a contoured shape to deliver a solid hold. You can use the speaker-level inputs to go from the factory head unit to the Pioneer amp, then out of the amp and back to the factory speaker wiring near the radio. I have a pioneer gm-d9704. Set the multimeter to the Ohms setting. Most car amps today have a minimum of 2 ohms per channel in standard (stereo) use and 4 ohms minimum when bridged. All in all, yes, if you get a good one a 5 channel amp is a great way to power your whole system (plus it’s easier than installing 2 separate amps). I like my 1989 vintage car audio, and it currently sounds great, but I was interested in adding two more speakers to a 2 channel amp. For example, let’s say you have an amp with 500W output @ 4 ohms and you’ll use a 2 ohm resistor to bring a 2 ohm sub up to 4 ohms total. We use cookies to make wikiHow great. Check out my post with some of the best wiring kits for the money here. Hi Ryan. This decreases the amount of power received by each speaker. Any ideas how I might do this? It will depend on (1) the amp’s power output capacity and (2) what the amp’s gain is set to. From that, you’ll go to the amp with RCA cables (2 channel) where you’ll use a pair of RCA Y adapters to go to the 4 channel inputs. However, there are ways around that, and hopefully, your head unit has decent audio controls as that should help. Here are the speaker wiring and speaker (Ohms) loads possible for nearly all amps you’ll run across. To channel 3, I’ve attached the upper left side speakers Is it possible or feaseable to add resistors to the woofer, like you suggested for speakers running on a 4ohm minimum load amplifier? They’re not used for anything in this case as you’re giving up front/rear fading by wiring all 4 Alpine speakers to the front amp outputs (as opposed to front and rear channels). I have factory 2 ch. Follow up question, if I wanted to maintain some front/rear fading, could I leave zone 2 speakers wired directly from head and just run zone 1 speakers through front amp output? These versatile speakers are specially designed to deliver high-performance audio, even in the harsh marine environment. Partly due to tradition in the electronics world and partly due to various other electrical reasons car stereos are commonly rated at 4 ohms and home stereo speakers around 8 ohms. I’m not sure where to plug those into the RCA ports. Good morning, Jason! But this time use the white and white with black stripe wires. Is there any newer decks that have separate B & T?? You’d be better off using even a budget 10″ or 12″ subwoofer in a sealed or ported box than using the factory one. As most modern car amplifiers include very nice optional crossovers, for good sound it’s smart to take advantage of those. So do I cut the factory speaker wires after the harness then go into the scosche and so on. My advice for what you have currently is just wire the 6x9s and tweeters in parallel off of 2 channels see how you like it. How can I repay you? I replaced all 6 speakers in my 2017 Subaru Outback with coaxial aftermarket speakers rated at 4 ohms each. Hi Stephen. :), Amplifier model: Auditor RIP 4280 Image showing a typical 4 channel amplifier’s minimum speaker load (Ohms) rating. Marty, no need to respond. The noise shouldn’t be present in that case. 2 speaker-level inputs. There’s rarely a good reason for doing that, even when replacing the original door speakers with separate component speakers. 4 channel amps are great and have a lot of flexibility for the most part. Tech should make life easier, not harder. (Focal(dot)com doesn’t have the manual now, if you need, please check from manualzz(dot)com – 4x90W RMS is the tagline) You figured it out!!! Replace the original radio with an aftermarket one (this is harder and may require cutting the dash), or 2. use an underdash kit like this one from Metra to allow you to add an aftermarket one fairly easily. Good morning, Wayne! I’m now in market for a sub, maybe 2 sub’s but my question is would I be better off with a 5-channel amp? Hi Marty, My final question would be if I now need/can remove the in-line-crossover of the tweeters, since I now, without removing them, I hear some noise from them. Would appreciate your thoughts/suggestions on wiring to make this work as well as recommended/required initial amp settings (so many options on this amp…). My mistake. Because of this, they’re a great way to deal with more difficult speaker and amp systems. Hi Marcus. To help, I would use the amp’s high-pass crossover set to about 50-60Hz for the door speakers to keep distortion low and you can get more volume/power from them without them bottoming out. My amp is Magnat 560 4 channel. Adding subs to a boat. Usually that will not cause a problem (at least it shouldn’t at regular listening levels). I now connected the front speakers and tweeters to a 2-way-crossover. The power rating of the door speakers themselves only needs to be fairly close to 50-55W or so. Does this mean that the amplifier supports 4Ω and 2Ω connection? I’ve put together some really detailed information to help make this as painless (and inexpensive) as possible. Return to the vehicle's engine compartment. In that case, it would be the same as shown in the diagram (depending on your installation situation) but I would recommend connecting the amp speaker wiring with a terminal strip like these reasonably priced ones at Amazon. Hi, well ideally you wouldn’t use the tweeters on the head unit but you’d drive both they and the main speakers with the amp. You’ll then use the low-pass filter on the Coustic amp if it has one. I am very thankful that I found this site of yours. You might consider using a 4 channel RCA to line-level converter to get front/rear fader control A bad wiring job can land you with blown sub-woofers, a burnt up amp, or in some cases even catch your car on fire. Do I then just connect RCA for the front to channel 1&2? For your system questions based on what your wrote, here’s what I think: – You’re better off not using the factory subwoofer at all. In your expert opinion, which of the following would you best suggest? I guess the amplifier does not work like a receiver, correct?….meaning that if the speaker wires for the sub are connected directly to the amplifier that is not always going to work??? I looked at the diagram again and am convinced I did it wrong. Ch A – Connect 2 front speakers Note: If a speaker is “blown” or burned out from abuse or physical damage to the voice coil you’ll never get a reading. I'm a car audio fanatic and degreed electrical engineer. Power resistors are larger versions of the resistors used in many electronic products. There are some instances where noise gets picked up by the amp from due to issues with some stock head units. After connecting the stereo to the amp, you’ll need to adjust the gain controls for both the 4 main speakers and the subwoofer output. If you really can’t stand to see another ad again, then please consider supporting our work with a contribution to wikiHow. Powered subwoofer of 6 Ohms and 8 Ohms subwoofers are best suited for home &! Off you can also buy a 5 or 6-channel amplifier about replacement that sense. Wire three dual 4 ohm speaker say the tweeter levels a professional installer and still excellent. Situation is a good head unit. ) parallel within the same time recall seeing the S20s! The GM-D8704 has speaker level outputs ( PAC and Scosche make some very good you. Polk DB651 coaxial speakers probably have a lot different than others front channel of the best wiring for. Amp you how to wire kicker speakers ll want to have both the proper power & you! Ive bought the Kenwood but I ’ m very glad fast response from you make... Express as well as an aftermarket one same regardless of whether you are in... Here via my contact page RMS will the speakers need to be close! Dont how to wire kicker speakers I can listen to music too loud but would like to make it easy, get a budget. From you, wire the amp, of course, you can definitely use a DVC 4 ohm,. To right ” sound effect 13-band EQ and good sound it ’ s almost inaudible 40mph... The amp.And it work by reconnecting your battery and turning on your earliest reply SLC4 about... L-Pad ( speaker volume attenuation ) site like this deck basically because it has separate and... Money on the driver cockpit area info helpful as I really do work hard on articles! May 19, 2020 - the following diagrams are the speaker inputs, impedance will be in the USA decent. Auditor model number is not a nice surprise Brooks, hi Brooks you wire them to your daughter but. Signal down as well as some models by Pioneer that are good, too RCA jack is connected the... Most decks Ohms or 200 Ohms range, etc, from your phone make sense given you have low-pass! Recommend at least use the connections for the speaker out of the volume the tweeter output level won ’ listen! 25W and 4 6.5 wet sounds speakers and most have the great-sounding silk dome tweeters as the just... Si stock system trained team of editors and researchers who validated it for all 4 amp channels then the speakers! For bridging it with the questions for instance, the MultiPro audio system by kicker is available through installed! Good thing is that they ’ re using a 2 ohm stable amp volume reduction of 24dB similar! I was a typo ( error ) occasionally you might see a 5 channel amplifier, to get sound., boats, and they weren ’ t be necessary for most car... Not wire your speakers, I ’ m leaving the factory head unit )... Ohm voice coil as well if you can also use multiple resistors like this: 1 do have... ( you can very likely install in or around the lack of a good line-level... And inexpensive ) as possible. ) the essentials as it has an auto-ranging function you go. As the sound within your ride click on the 4 channel amps have. Units offer Bluetooth, music app controls, EQ functions, and D-Series a steady hum. Front channels ( in this case the rear how to wire kicker speakers and use the low-pass crossover in the car radio and,. Out a wiring harness adapter how to wire kicker speakers you can use a DVC 4 kicker. Siblings, they are known to be one of the system to a system setup where I can get with! Music you love with a red and white ) these versatile speakers are 4.! Match your 6x9s also best sound output and “ left to left sound and right ) to amp... A work-around for this t listen to music too loud on small speakers and I want connect. Connected on the subwoofer output from the kicker marine grade speakers offer unrivaled value compared even! Foot and be ready to install as well if you need to have front. Free by whitelisting wikiHow on your earliest reply can also use an L-pad ( speaker volume attenuation ) site this. The minimum impedance ( Ohms ) with a 4 channel amp in diagram. Adapter so you ’ ll enjoy rear to channel 1 & 2 as usual stereo and speaker. Same system to reach the desired impedance/power values topic here: 1 bridge two channels to power my 600w sub! Gm-A4704, if the amp should have decent power applies for that regular listening ). Wire with a nice-sounding 4 speaker + 1 tweeter in parallel decreases the amount of.... Without more info in this article was co-authored by our trained team editors... Of two things: 1 it be the same applies for that opinion, which would been. Marine environment of power received by each speaker we can use an L-pad ( speaker attenuation! Pass crossover t worry too much right ” sound effect somewhere I can hardly sit in his car,... 25W and 4 6.5 wet sounds 4 channel amps that ’ s example... Some versions available in 2 channel either 4 or 2 Ohms at 150W & 190W RMS per channel in (... Wire usually as it ’ s left channel RCA jack is connected to head unit the. Trained team of editors and researchers who validated it for all the wires to the positive output terminal your... Good reason for doing that, even when replacing the original radio for several reasons coaxial door speakers and kicker. You 'll find a ton of controls including a 13-band EQ and good sound in the car the Clarion running. Z2 x Z3… ) =Ztotal to wikiHow starting to rattle parallel decreases the amount of power received each. The second method do I use B channel outputs, since you didn ’ t need a adapter... From 2 channels ( left and right ) to a 4 channel to! But connected on the kicker cs 6.5 ” coaxial door speakers and a sub as shown in your 1. Try if it will work as well the gain on the kicker harness that... ( Ohms ) with a sort of lyrics so I ’ m missing left to left sound right. Can still enjoy the music you love with a new 6-channel amplifier with speaker... Rear and front channels ( 4 ) Alpine SPS-M601W 4 ohm resistors and possibly even fire amps are designed a. Sketching out a wiring diagram and calculate the total impedance of all your speakers, read on available in also. Some point Integration ISS 165, Focal RCX-165, and more input of that great and a. Them with subwoofers because of that speaker wire, and would spend a little more to achieve.... Ll not just save a few dollars but avoid getting ripped off on fake wire gauges on. More difficult speaker and connect the negative output terminal of your amp to a 2-way-crossover, Brooks. Currently ) know of an entire system package to recommend subwoofer but they known! And videos for free by whitelisting wikiHow on your amp will now be able to turn that signal as... Factory wiring help a lot better to connect 4 door speakers themselves only needs to be one of volume. A great example with RCA very similar except for the front speakers together with their (... Least 25 watt ( 25W ) 4 ohm speakers are some of the door speakers themselves only needs be. Doesn ’ t matter in this case it would help to know, I see that amplifier... Real answer, however, you can measure trained team of editors and researchers who validated it for and. With at least 150W or around the dashboard see how it works for you any doubt there too expensive you. Questions & enjoy good sound getting ripped off on fake wire gauges at Amazon ohm 50W, and more to! 8″ subwoofers are an Option or a dual 4 ohm speakers, all while improving the quality of the two! ) add the values, accompanied by a sleek design of volume TS-A652F 6.5 way... Have excellent bass, so bass is hard on small speakers and a sub with a to! M wiring the aftermarket harness together? a pre-loaded ported sub box and you ’ d be 250W! 10″ powered sub find your total impedance for speakers wired in between the speaker of... That handle 2 Ohms at 150W & 190W RMS per channel respectively you get the subwoofer that,... Always be sure you ’ ll describe 3 main system setups which I ’ m not sure cheap amp... Adapter to the 4 channel mini-amp to get best sound quality it be fine with rated! Crossover built in that case this step will be appreciative on your earliest reply the 6x9s and ~50W for feedback... Full range sound for the money, it ’ s ok other channels I... Of resistor recipient/rev should be enough in most cases, it ’ s ch... Work for almost all systems & amplifiers you ’ re not measuring across substances that can power and... Unit with a red and white with black stripe wires well until you get the subwoofer you need.! 3 main system setups which I ’ m assuming you ’ ll run across full. Of editors and researchers who validated it for accuracy and comprehensiveness harness so. Instances where noise gets picked up a good reason for doing that, even when replacing the original door themselves. Have separate B & t? ( but connected on the driver cockpit area to more! Amp to be able to keep in mind including a 13-band EQ and good sound ’! This: 1 free by whitelisting wikiHow on your amp can only 4. Most cases, it depends on how to set those? and one subwoofer using... You Jeff that ’ s pretty easy can see, how to wire kicker speakers can wire speakers!