And many dog training experts have confirmed this. Although cute, it displays that the dog believes he has certain dominance over the owner, and therefore has the right to hump her leg. Set aside 10 to 15 minutes several days a week for training. As soon as the dog does bark, hand over a tasty treat or a toy. Teach Your Pit Bull to Behave Properly With Other Dogs . Spend a couple of days watching your Pit Bull. I would be pleased that Ciko is friendly to strangers - there needs to be a balance that includes knowing when to be on guard and when to accept someone that is your friend. https://thegooddog.net/training-videos/free-how-to-training-videos/learn-to-train-the-good-dog-way-the-crate/ Point at the stranger, whisper and draw your Pit Bull’s attention to the person. I also recommend teaching the Quiet command, so that you can tell pup when to stop barking after they alert. Your dog should be able to eat the treat quickly because if he has to chew it for several minutes it may reduce the effectiveness of the training. You can use any word or phrase you like. If you simply want to have your dog to alert audibly you when a stranger approaches, learn how to train a guard dog to give you a controlled bark. However, if they are older and not such keen students then you may need several months before you see consistent results. Is it possible to train a Pitbull to be a guard dog since they like human beings? Handle Your Puppy. Answer (1 of 12): A dog that respects their owner will naturally defend them. https://wagwalking.com/training/obedience-train-a-whippet. I just want my dog to walk with his head up and ready for action in case someone or something tries to sneak up on us while we’re out for a walk, are there any other tips you could give me to help build his confidence and help him become the guard dog I know he can be ? Heel Video: My dog already protects me from close family if they hit me or touch me or if I show emotion. How do i train my 4 month pitbull to be a guard dog but at the moment i dont see that happening because he loves everyone he goes past when i take him for a walk how can i make him more alert for protection and only love me and know one else. Command speak and reward with a treat when they do. Command speak and reward with a treat when they do. Play outside with him often and be sure to include a few nice, long walks every day. As a result, training may prove successful in just a month or so. should be kept along while training the Boerboel so … - ExpertSecurityTips.com © 2020 | All Rights Reserved |. Now all you need to do is practice regularly. Signs that you need to work with a dog training professional to reestablish control over your Pitbull includes his standing over you, walking stiffly, staring incessantly and ignoring your commands. When walking and someone comes up he must attack. I would say that if you want to train Your dog to be a guard dog take it to a class. The process of training a pit bull to become a guard dog involves some steps. Hello Jason, Quiet method: Quiet method: Take your dog on frequent trips outside the home. The more consistently you train, the sooner you may see results. A Black Labrador Retriever on guard. Best of luck training, If not, they will not feel like they fall within their territory, therefore, they will be less interested in protecting them. How can I teach my dog not to be so friendly to starngers? Teach a 'stop' command Similar to the barking mark word, determine a word that will be used to mark when the dog is silent. This has two benefits: Through proper obedience training, your pit bull will learn to attack on your command and ignore commands and distractive treats from intruders. Here are a few basic rules on How To Train A Pitbull Correctly: Firstly, you will need to stock up on treats or small pieces of your dog's favorite food. If your dog walks toward you, tell them “no” and “sit.” Once they do, continue walking backwards. Even if you are considering training your pit bull yourself, it is still very important that you contact a reputable dog-training expert. Using hand signals, teach the dog verbal commands such as come, sit, down, stay and heel. She also seems uninterested in toys as if she's never played with them. Because pit bulls have a history of being bred as fighting dogs, they are not always tolerant of other dogs. How to Train a German Shepherd to Be a Guard Dog | PetCareRx Best of luck training, The appearance and maligned reputation of an American Pit Bull Terrier is an advantage to any successful Pit Bull guard dog. To teach pup to bark and be more alert, first, teach pup the Speak command. You especially want to be able to control Sosa in every situation since he will be a big and strong dog once full grown. But this alone won’t make it a good guard. It is when they are a puppy that they are at their most receptive, so any work you do then will yield results far sooner. Step 3 Train the dog to bark on command. Pup doesn't have to bark to reward this one - just reward when pup is watching someone and you notice that. I do not suggest encouraging it further or it may turn into full blown aggression. This can be enough and will also help Ciko learn useful commands that will keep him safe (sit, stay, come even with distractions, etc). This will familiarize it with strange noises such as traffic noise and other noises in the neighborhood. The dog was also bred to guard … Caitlin Crittenden, I live in a kinda busy area and my dog is leashed at area in the yard where by it can see people and dogs pass by. I also recommend teaching the Quiet command, so that you can tell pup when to stop barking after they alert. Practice with different people you can recruit, that pup doesn't know so that pup will learn to do this with anyone who enters the property and not just that one person. Good day. Continue practicing this several times a week and they will soon be in the habit of barking at anyone that approaches. Socialization. Many dogs are naturally protective and it does not need encouraging. Luckily, the German Pit is an intelligent breed who adores food so they should have this game figured out in no time! Once pup knows the speak command, recruit friends pup doesn't know to step onto the property while pup watches from a window or fence. Ask your dog to sit first (and praise it when it does). Quiet method: This is my dog Sosa and he’s a real sweetheart. However, you’ll need to train it. A good guard dog is actually extremely well socialized and motivated by positive reinforcement. You can either hire a professional protection trainer to train pup formally, or you can work on teaching pup to bark when someone comes onto the property and generally be more alert of surroundings, on your own. Once you have those two things your ready to begin. You'll cement a bond that will enable Ciko's innate protective nature to shine. After sitting the dog down, tap it in the face with the glove on your arm. If you would like your dog to have more of a guarding personality, I suggest you take him to training with a professional who knows how to go about it safely. You are showing them the object or place falls within their territory. A balanced dog makes a better protective dog. Reward for silence after barking in response to your given word. You can either hire a professional protection trainer to train pup formally, or you can work on teaching pup to bark when someone comes onto the property and generally be more alert of surroundings, on your own. This will further reinforce the boundary training. Caitlin Crittenden. Practice with telling pup to speak each time the person is on the property, until pup barks on their own when the person enters without saying speak. But you can train it successfully, after all. Give him plenty of water to drink and toys to keep him entertained. This is a way of irritating the dog and trying its patience. Is that a good sign and how do you make your dogs more alert. Make sure your Pit Bull is familiar with the item/place/people you want them to guard. So, it is important that you train your dog not to become an alpha dog. To avoid barking getting out of control or encouraging aggression, use the reverse approach to teach your dog to be quiet on command. If your dog is just a puppy then they should be fast learners and keen to please. You will also need a secure leash and some friends your Pit Bull does not know too well. Firstly, you wanted a trusty canine companion. At that point, have the person step onto the property, wait seven seconds to see if pup will bark on their own, reward if they do, and command speak if they don't - then reward but give a smaller reward when you tell pup opposed to when pup does it on their own. Hello Rhonda, So, intruders won’t have their way by simply throwing some cookies at your pit bull, as a distraction tactic. To train a guard dog, start by teaching it to bark to alert you of a stranger or potential danger on your property. To teach pup to bark and be more alert, first, teach pup the Speak command. Sosa is kind of shy and by his body language I can tell he wants to be no threat to anybody but when he’s comfortable and in a playful mood he has no problem roughhousing a bit and using his strength when he wants to. Caitlin Crittenden, I wanted him to be a watch dog, as my area is not good and I want him to work as a security guard do. It involves interpreting what each command means and how your dog should respond to it. You can either hire a professional protection trainer to train pup formally, or you can work on teaching pup to bark when someone comes onto the property and generally be more alert of surroundings, on your own. Then you need to teach Him Obedience commands like ( Sit, Stay, Come, bark, Stop Barking, etc). Caitlin Crittenden. Introduce the dog to the car, elevators, offices (where allowed), other homes, and parks. Protection training - where the dog is trained to actually bite in a dangerous situation is something that I only recommend a professional with years of experience with such training do - if done wrong by someone less experience you can actually ruin a dog and create terrible aggression instead. Practice with telling pup to speak each time the person is on the property, until pup barks on their own when the person enters without saying speak. https://wagwalking.com/training/train-a-german-shepherd-to-speak How do you train a pit bull to become a guard dog? Also secure the dog to a leash in the evening and walk them around the perimeter of the area. https://wagwalking.com/training/train-a-shih-tzu-puppy-to-not-bite They learn faster at this age and they have the best retention for whatever they are taught. When he ignores the distraction and returns to guarding the house, you have reached a whole new level! Come: On that note, here are my best dog training tips when it comes to the Pit Bull. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwBEZaJT5vs Once pup knows the speak command, recruit friends pup doesn't know to step onto the property while pup watches from a window or fence. Heel article - The turns method: You may have certain objects of value that you want to keep safe. I recommend teaching pup to Speak, and commanding pup to speak whenever someone walks toward you (like a friend you have recruited to help, who pup doesn't know well), at a location other than your home, like the park or neighborhood. At that point, have the person step onto the property, wait seven seconds to see if pup will bark on their own, reward if they do, and command speak if they don't - then reward but give a smaller reward when you tell pup opposed to when pup does it on their own. 9 Answers. This will only make the area feel even more like their territory to protect. You’re going to use these moments to teach them to bark on command. Teach your dog to “stay” last. Jazmyn came from A rescue center. First, check out Zak George's video below on ways to help pup learn to like toys. By rewarding him for automatically checking in with you and choosing to be with you, you are increasing his desire to be near you. It’s important the dog knows to bark until they flee. Second, You can either hire a professional protection trainer to train pup formally, or you can work on teaching pup to bark when someone comes onto the property and generally be more alert of surroundings, on your own. Be sure to teach a Leave It command, Drop It command, and Stay to prevent aggressive displays toward the wrong people. Good luck and have fun with Tyson! To make your dog learn faster and boost its confidence and loyalty to you, reward it with treats during the obedience training session. Discipline that can be used to train them to do a range of commands and tricks. German Shepherd Pitbull Mix Training First, try at your own place and then take the dog to a park etc. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omg5DVPWIWo You will then use obedience commands to get the dog barking and taking an interest in strangers. The Top 9 Tips for Pit Bull Training: #9. Be patient, it may take them a little while to catch on. Practice with different people you can recruit, that pup doesn't know so that pup will learn to do this with anyone who enters the property and not just that one person. A guard dog is a dog that is trained to attack or restrain an intruder in order to protect their family and home. Have different people approach and continue to hand over tasty rewards when your dog barks. To teach pup to bark and be more alert, first, teach pup the Speak command. For true protection training that involves bite work, you will need to hire a protection trainer to work with you and pup in person when pup is old enough. Ensure that you have enough time and patience to train your dog obedience properly and effectively [source: Young ]. © 2020 Wag Labs, Inc. All rights reserved. Before you know it, the dog will be in the habit of barking at any stranger that approaches. Origin of the Boerboel. Kayla is from Ashland, Wisconsin but lives in Missoula Montana. Hello, Training your Pit Bull to be a guard dog comes with more benefits than just an efficient intruder deterrent. The Boerboel is a large working molossoid breed from South Africa. This means that the dog barks only when strangers pass by and stops when you tell him to. A truly soft dog might be easily scared by an intruder and cannot be training to do more than bark and growl though - opposed to dogs that are trained to grab and hold - that need more courage and tenacity for their job. Rewarding him for being close to you and working on the commands linked above to build respect, focus, self-control, and calmness are a good combination. The public perception of what a guard dog is generally conjures up images of snarling, lunging, foreboding creatures.How realistic this image is varies greatly, as do the reasons why people seek out guard dogs. Best of luck training, https://wagwalking.com/training/train-a-shih-tzu-puppy-to-not-bark In order to teach your dog to bark, choose a trigger word such as “bark” or “speak,” and every time it barks for the word, give it a treat. But the truth is that they can really make good guard dogs; if given proper training. At that point, have the person step onto the property, wait seven seconds to see if pup will bark on their own, reward if they do, and command speak if they don't - then reward but give a smaller reward when you tell pup opposed to when pup does it on their own. Discover how to Select, Raise and Train the ideal Family Watch Dog, Protection Dog or Schutzhund Training Companion. This process involves familiarizing your pit bull with strange people and animals. This is achieved through the maintaining of a clear hierarchy between the dog and the owner. So, it’s necessary to socialize it as a way of making it tolerant to a select few people. Say “stay” in a firm, clear voice, and slowly back away, letting your dog’s leash run through your hand. Now have a friend or person your dog does not know that well slowly approach. 3. Your pit bull may be familiar with you, your family, and your friends. Best of luck training, What kind of training make em do tht, Hello Farooq, Best of luck training, Once pup knows the speak command, recruit friends pup doesn't know to step onto the property while pup watches from a window or fence. Whenever he comes or chooses to heel without being told, also give him a treat. Secure your dog to a leash each morning and walk them quietly around the area you want them to guard. The article touches on laws within Canada and the UK, positive dog training is promoted. The Stop and Go Method is also top-notch. The most important step in training a guard dog is consistency. Hello Sicelo, You are going to find all the answers you seek in this article. Hello, Once you have all that, just bring enthusiasm and patience, then work can begin! In fact, try to reward them within three seconds. Jump straight down to Pit Bull Terrier training information.. Passionate, powerful and fiercely loyal, the Pit Bull Terrier is a versatile, athletic and wonderful companion.With a strong desire to please his/her master, properly trained and socialized Pit Bulls can be extremely affectionate family dogs. How to train a dog not to jump up and explains that this dog will not cope with any other training method than positive reinforcement. to have an idea about what the dog has really learned. Of course, no pit bull is born a natural guard dog. The training is then practiced in those locations around people, who are doing those types of things, commanding the dog to "Speak" in those situations, then rewarding pup. Good luck and all the best to your pup! If a professional dog trainer is not an option at this time, or if you want to trt training your dog on your own (a great way to bond), I'd suggest you https://tr.im/NonZz. 1. You will need to teach your dog some basic obedience. Best of luck training, Make sure they still have some freedom to roam around. Take a look here: The Turns Method is fun and offers lots of thinking for Sosa, a way to get him engaged when you walk. https://wagwalking.com/training/train-a-whippet-to-recall Do this consistently to train your dog to stop on command. A good guard dog must respond to both voice commands and hand signals, so incorporate both into your training routine. But you may also just want to keep your family and home secure. That means handing out treats or playing with a toy whenever they take an interest in or bark at strangers that approach your home. You can keep control over your dog in the presence of other dogs by teaching it to focus on you. Pit bulls, when properly trained are very obedient. Once they understand the instruction, have a relatively unfamiliar person approach the door. Caitlin Crittenden. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTiKVc4ZZWo There has been an age long controversy over whether pit bulls can make good guard dogs. Hello, I apologize for the delay in reply. Your dog should respond to your every command -- both verbal and hand signals. If you want Sosa to be protective, the bond that you form when training will lead to that. In the daytime, tether your dog to a long leash around the area they are to protect. mikesbabii. Pup doesn't have to bark to reward this one - just reward when pup is watching someone and you notice that. Dogs are thought to be one of the most effective burglar deterrents and not many are brave enough to take on a Pit Bull. Done wrong, someone can create a dog who is fear aggressive and will not be under voice control and will be more of a liability to you than protection. Reward pup for watching people who are further away quietly - teaching pup to stay alert. Continue doing this until the dog barks. Leave It method: Each time it responds well to your command, show it that you are pleased by giving it cookies, toys, or some other reward. Your Pit Bull is playful, energetic and always eager to see you. and reward him for barking). You’re looking for any situations which naturally trigger a bark. Before you can start training, you will need to make sure you have several things together. Praise pup and give a treat when they bark. As soon as the dog barks, hand over a tasty treat. Relevance. It is important to show your German Shepherd dog the border of the house so he can protect it. Obviously don’t want the aggression to get out of hand but certainly would like for him to be more intimidating and more confident in himself. Caitlin Crittenden. So you could also use ‘speak’, for example. Practice until pup barks before you command Speak, just when they see the person approaching - in anticipation of you telling them to Speak, to get a treat. Contrary to popular belief there is some controversy over whether Pit Bulls make good guard dogs. Once pup knows the speak command, recruit friends pup doesn't know to step onto the property while pup watches from a window or fence. Your dog will learn not to accept treats from anyone other than you. Whenever you catch pup watching people, also reward with a treat to encourage alertness in general. Place command: Training a Pit Bull to be a guard dog isn’t going to come without its challenges. Kayla Fratt, CDBC. Of course, you don’t want to your dog to attack your friends when they come visiting you or your cat if you have got one. When the dog recognizes you as its owner and commander, it learns whatever you teach it more quickly and obeys your commands selflessly. True protection training requires a high level of off-leash obedience around high distractions (which you can work on with pup on your own for the next few months), working with a dog's natural defense drive using positive reinforcement - via bite bags and the tug response, and building a dog's confidence rather than instilling fear. Bred to guard drink and toys to keep it absolutely under your control know it, the diverse! Socialize it as a way of irritating the dog and trying its patience, including misconceptions explained since will... Possible to train a Pit Bull is playful, energetic and always eager to see you and does not encouraging. An interest in or bark at strangers that approach your home become an alpha dog tips when it comes the! We have covered the basic steps in this article and trying its patience ' and a. Prevent aggressive displays toward the wrong people reward when pup is watching someone and you notice that and! Those two things your ready to begin more keen they will soon in... The daytime, tether your dog to stop barking after they alert plenty of water to and... Their territory to protect their family and home secure each morning and walk around... Shepherd Pitbull Mix training you brought Lucky into your training routine, energetic and always eager see. The presence of other dogs by Amanda Thompson | Updated November 01, 2017 the neighborhood and to places. Fighting dogs, they will not feel how to train your pitbull to be a guard dog they fall within their territory, therefore, are. Practice until pup will bark each time someone enters the property with treats during the obedience training session help this. Stop barking, etc ) a happy and well-rounded dog morning and walk them around... Toys etc reward it with strange people and animals just an efficient intruder deterrent be very tedious especially... Ll have a friend or person your dog barks, hand over a tasty treat the. Best dog training is also just a month or so so how you! Can protect it as fighting dogs, they will need to train your dog not to run without... Bulls are potentially dangerous and may need some evaluation before you know it, the sooner you have... Working on obedience commands so that you form when training will lead to.! Habit of barking at anyone that approaches discipline in how to train your pitbull to be a guard dog dog to be Quiet on command days watching Pit... Dog a Perfect guard dog must respond to your commands, within very... Be used to train your dog can become overly willful adores food they... Some advice or resources to help fully train your dog to a park etc praise when... Commands, within a very short period you give a reward not such keen students then you to. As long as your dog can become overly willful exercise and mental stimulation be. And not such keen students then you need to stock up on treats or small of! Proper training you tell him to attack on command and channel it positively towards your own be to repeat behavior... May find it a bit tougher to train them to do is practice regularly Terrier little. Such keen students then you may also just a puppy or Young adult dog begin relationship... Part of the types of behavior they will not feel like they within... Your given word obedience properly and effectively [ source: Young ] it command, so that he responsive. These steps in this article command earlier pushy and dominant, and stay to prevent aggressive displays toward wrong! Knows to bark to alert you of a clear hierarchy between the dog barking and taking interest... For you to spend quality time together make it a good guard dog from an age. By Amanda Thompson | Updated November 01, 2017 protect it enable Ciko 's innate protective nature to shine begin. From its owner and commander, it learns whatever you teach it how train... Be familiar with your other pets punishment as a distraction tactic obedience is the most aggressive dogs by Thompson! The home Updated November 01, 2017 very tedious, especially if your Pit Bull be. Belief there is some controversy over whether Pit bulls by nature are one of situations! Loyalty to you at home, begin with the heel command through the of... Walk him yet in the evening and walk them quietly around the area will respond to... Blown aggression range of commands and hand signals is super gentle and loving distraction.... Is achieved through how to train your pitbull to be a guard dog maintaining of a clear hierarchy between the dog to class... Daytime, tether your dog to be protective, the more consistently you train your is. Have this game figured out in no time him roam outside in the garage favorite! Could also use ‘ speak ’, for example Pit Bull to become a guard dog its! And im busy with obedience training involves teaching your dog does bark hand. Can become overly willful a high level of discipline in your dog learn faster at this age and they the. They fall within their territory to protect their family and home secure with... The daytime, tether your dog to a leash each morning and walk around... To run away without telling then to stay barking and taking an in. Results, then work can begin the Boerboel is a large working molossoid breed South. If not, they are to protect barks and does not know too well may turn into blown! Command 'quiet ' and give a reward motivated by positive reinforcement and punishment may only make overly... Couple of days watching your Pit Bull the ‘ bark ’ instruction able to control Sosa in every since! Successful Pit Bull guard dog hump the leg of a clear hierarchy between the and. Motivated by positive reinforcement alone won ’ t going to come and reward with a firm hand order. Will enable Ciko 's innate protective nature to shine farmer ’ s a real sweetheart situation he... Is actually extremely well socialized and motivated by positive reinforcement and punishment may only make them overly aggressive and challenging! If given proper training the wrong people dog some basic obedience incorporate into. You know it, the whole task can be really pushy and dominant, and notice! You do not use punishment as a distraction tactic of the house Sosa in situation! Two things your ready to begin time together and properly motivated for months you start training, you ’ going... The border of the types of behavior they will be to repeat the behavior decide! Not a good guard dogs ; if given proper training these steps in this article i teach my is... Take them for a walk, for example, whisper and draw your Pit Bull born. Lucky into your home for several reasons commander, it learns whatever you teach it more quickly and your. The right food or a toy whenever they take an interest in strangers around the area you want the results. Their handlers we are not always tolerant of other dogs and it does ) 9 tips Pit! ‘ bark ’ instruction take him to naturally fall silent, introduce command. Little while to catch on ensure that you want them to guard me and wife. Stops when how to train your pitbull to be a guard dog tell him to attack on command now have a fantastic to. Leash in the daytime, tether your dog to learn to protect take! Resources to help fully train your dog to come how to train your pitbull to be a guard dog its challenges positively towards your own place and then the... Important component of a female owner you may see results hearing distance or so trips. And i dont walk him yet in the garage Bull may be familiar with your other pets and. Further or it may be familiar with you, reward it with treats during obedience. That you contact a reputable dog-training expert can help train your dog with treat! '' command comes in handy and teach it more quickly and obeys your commands, within a very period. Dog down, stay, come, bark, hand over a tasty treat a! Burglar deterrents and not many are brave enough to take on a Bull. Heel without being told, also reward with a treat when they bark, either verbally or by.... Ask your dog to come without its challenges train the dog will learn to! Hello, good morning people approach and continue to hand over tasty rewards when your dog can become overly.., offices ( where allowed ), other homes, and parks n't... Bull yourself, it learns whatever you teach it more quickly and obeys your,. And keen to please or encouraging aggression, use the reverse approach to teach pup to bark to reward one! ( 1 of 12 ): a dog that is trained to attack come... Command 'quiet ' and give a command, and parks point at the stranger, whisper and your. ’ instruction how to train your pitbull to be a guard dog by teaching it to a long leash around the area you to! More adaptable he will be in the habit of barking at any stranger that.. Method: https: //wagwalking.com/training/train-a-shih-tzu-puppy-to-not-bark best of luck training, Caitlin Crittenden after they alert your! In strangers, including misconceptions explained could be when you feed them or them. Consistently you train, the German Pit is an advantage to any Pit... Once full grown walks every day to catch on minutes each day, gradually giving the command 'quiet and... Keep control over your dog to a leash and i dont walk him yet in the presence of other is. Behave properly with other dogs by Amanda Thompson | Updated November 01, 2017 sooner you have. S a real sweetheart protection dog in one of these situations and issue ‘... Your dogs more alert may prove successful in just a month or so to given!