A raccoon that has been raised and handled from an early age will probably show more affection for its owners. An unsupervised raccoon can be fairly destructive, since it is a natural scavenger. Some animals require specific permits to hunt, and these rules vary by each state. Among other things, the breeders take the nursing baby raccoons away from their mothers - how traumatizing and cruel for both mother and babies! illegally. During mating season, adult raccoons act more aggressively and may be a little harder to control, especially in terms of marking territory with urine. Some states do not allow raccoons to … A Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI) must be submitted along with the application if bringing one of these species into New Jersey. full list of animals you need a licence for. LicenseSuite: Everything You Need to Make it Easy to Get a Raccoon, Kentucky Business License. Choose a local breeder for your pet raccoon as opposed to trying to adopt one from the wild. Some states require a permit to keep raccoons, while others, like Arkansas, allow you to keep up to 6 No Importation or Pet Permits Issued For Raccoon, Fox or Skunk in West Virginia . The raccoons can either be brought into the local animal control office for euthanization or released into the immediate area. Even though raccoons are legal in these states, the person who owns the raccoon may need to follow special rules or get a permit before acquiring the animals. Some people feed them, but this is unnecessary and unwise. Prepare yourself and others in your household for raccoon bites. I know I need a license or permit to own and take care of wildlife. All content is available under the Open Government Licence v3.0, except where otherwise stated. His mom was trapped and killed (not by my friend). Raccoons are "well-rounded," often plump, with reddish brown to grey fur. Does the same type of permit work in one state, but not another? A raccoon that has been raised and handled from an early age will probably show more affection for its owners. however, there is no law stating that little furry guy cant be a pet at that point. share. Even if you locate a vet that will give your pet raccoon vaccinations against rabies and distemper, you may still have difficulty in obtaining an exotic pet permit, since the effectiveness of these types of vaccines is still in question. permit to own a raccoon in texas, Coon hunting or raccoon hunting is the practice of hunting raccoons, most often for their meat and fur.It is almost always done with specially bred dogs called coonhounds, of which there are six breeds, and is most commonly associated with rural life in the Southern United States. You will need a permit to keep a raccoon, as it is a native animal, native to all continental US states. my auntie use to have a few raccoons but she ran a refuge for injured animals. Answer: Yes with a Class 3 permit. Does it vary by state? Before buying and using a raccoon trap, look into your state’s laws or specific area regulations regarding raccoons. Alabama, Maryland, Massachusetts and many other states outright prohibit it. For example, in Arkansas, a person can’t own more than five raccoons at a time. No, the average person can not keep a raccoon as a pet in Texas. For example, in Arkansas, a person can’t own more than five raccoons at a time. Empower Her. sorry maam but you are wrong. Only hard copy applications with original signatures will be accepted. Some states require a permit to keep raccoons, while others, like Arkansas, allow you to keep up to 6 raccoons. To prevent the spread of disease, raccoons should not be relocated long distances from where they were initially trapped. Ask Question + 100. Raccoon rabies reached New York in 1990 and has become widespread. Some states only allow wildlife workers or zoos to hold raccoons. hide. she got rid of it after a few weeks though. While raccoons are one of the most common types of exotic animals to be kept as pets, many animal-control authorities still discourage the practice. In captivity and with good care, they can live as long as 20 years. If you love them, let them live in the wild, same for foxes. To help us improve GOV.UK, we’d like to know more about your visit today. A Certificate of Veterinary Inspection must be submitted along with the Captive Game Permit application if bringing one of these species into New Jersey. This is the only defense mechanism that a raccoon uses, so it is used often. You may need to obtain a permit, or there could be a specific way you’re allowed to trap and release a raccoon. Can you own a raccoon in Virginia? Also check the regulations of your housing community and your municipality. The capital city of the United States, Washington, D.C., forbids the killing of all non-commensal animals, that this, all animals that do not depend on humans to survive. the dnr sells fur bearing mammal licenses for i do believe 25 dollars. The trouble, to begin with, is that in many areas of the country, they are illegal to have as pets. One of the most serious and deadly of these is rabies.According to the World Health Organization, rabies is “almost always fatal following the onset of clinical symptoms.” Obviously, this presents serious concerns when you’re keeping a raccoon as a pet.Dr. An importation permit is needed to bring these species into NJ. Look for a veterinarian who will treat a raccoon before you try to own one legally. Plus, even if your state allows a raccoon as a pet, some city ordinances won’t permit it. A raccoon’s fur is long, soft and colored a grizzled black-brown. Large carnivores like lions, tigers, and bears are illegal to own, as are apes, baboons, and … K… Rabies can be transmitted to humans and other animals by the bite of an infected animal. She is considering looking into rehabilitation places, but he s getting older. Cheetahs are Class 1 Wildlife (e.g. Answer: Class 3. Just Laws and permit requirements change, so check your state's regulations before acquiring a raccoon. I'd like to know in what states do you not have to have a permit to own a raccoon in?What states do not require a permit to own a raccoon? In Indiana, a person can own just about any animal as a pet, from skunks or raccoons, to foxes, cougars and even lions. Is it illegal to have a raccoon for a pet? Surprisingly, a permit is required to own common species such as ferrets, macaws, pythons, hedgehogs, and skunks. It will take only 2 minutes to fill in. However, individuals this heavy are extremely rare in the wild. Resident landowners and tenants can trap a raccoon that is causing damage on their own property without a permit from the DNR. They are also host to a number of parasites, such as lice and fleas. Raccoons are wild animals; it is illegal to keep them in many states. Today, it's illegal in Maryland, Virginia and the District to keep raccoons as pets. With permit: bison, fox, raccoon, bobcat, beaver, deer. As a result, it is important that you learn from your local regulatory agency whether it is legal or not to have a raccoon as a pet before you get one. Maryland is no exception. Don’t include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number or credit card details. Can you have a pet raccoon in Ohio? He s still bottle fed and growing fast. Every state has different rules when it comes to keeping wildlife as pets. By keeping your pet raccoon entertained with a stimulating enclosure, you can reduce the likelihood of property damage and escape. DEAR MARIANNE: I’m afraid there is no going back in time to get a hunting permit or to save a raccoon’s life. her dad found it alone on the side of the road. Question: Are Eurasian eagle owls allowed in Florida as pets like in the UK? Yes you can but with a caveat. Best Answers. All one needs is the proper permit. The raccoon will also need a health certificate to be imported to another state. read more. Idaho requires a permit for tigers and other "deleterious exotic animals." Does anyone know how much it costs for a permit for me to own this racoon legally in Georgia? Answer: Yes. The web pages for Ohio fish and wildlife and also the state pages don't specifically say you need a permit. We’ll send you a link to a feedback form. Raccoons also carry Giardia lamblia, a protozoan causing diarrhea associated with ingesting food or water contaminated by raccoon excrement. The good news is that these permits, called Individual Hobby Wildlife Species Possession Permits, are obtainable and have a relatively reasonable fee. Louisiana – You can get an owl. illegally. Raccoons are susceptible to a few illnesses that are zoonotic, meaning they can be passed to humans. While raccoons are one of the most common types of exotic animals to be kept as pets, many animal-control authorities still discourage the practice. They are wild and belong in the wild. They also tend to get along with other pets, such as cats and dogs, especially if the raccoon has spent its entire life in captivity. Within 24 hours of capture, the person who takes the animal must release it or euthanize it. ; 50-11-1765; 50-16-20. Unless the laws recently changed, you can purchase a racoon from a licensed animal dealer/pet supplier. All one needs is the proper permit. Choose a local breeder for your pet raccoon as opposed to trying to adopt one from the wild. Download, print, complete, and submit the Application to Import Game Animals (pdf, 60kb). States that do allow raccoons as pets usually require permits. Get your answers by asking now. Look for a veterinarian who will treat a raccoon before you try to own one legally. Apply to your local … Is It Legal to Own a Pet Raccoon? You can change your cookie settings at any time. NO! Each state has its own rules and regulations on the trapping of nuisance animals. One is that in some states, it’s illegal to own one, so you need to check your state and county laws. Thanks. Basically what I want to know is what are the permit(s) required to own a raccoon? Raccoons are important furbearers, providing income and recreation to hunters and trappers in New York State. While a raccoon can be trained not to bite (by sternly telling it "no"), you may have to use caution and patience as well as some sturdy work gloves. I just can't find any information on how to get one.Who can tell me where I can get a permit to own a raccoon? Question: Is it legal to have a pet opossum in Florida? so she had raccoons deer wild turkey porcupines birds. Males are usually heavier than females. They will be better equipped than you to help the raccoon get started on a life which will give it a fighting chance for survival. Coronavirus (COVID-19): guidance and support, Transparency and freedom of information releases. Rabid raccoons may behave aggressively, salivate heavily, or have paralyzed hind legs. Some states allow it but require a permit. Exotic animal laws are similar in that you might need a license to own them and that the rules vary from state to state. If you are getting your raccoon from a breeder in another state, you may need an import permits in addition to other permits required by your state. Related: How to get bats out of the house. Download, print, complete and submit the Application to Import Game Animals Form (pdf, 60kb) . How do I get one of these permits? 4 months ago. In Indiana and other states, the … There are plenty of animals that are considered a nuisance but some of the most common are raccoons and squirrels. 3 comments. so she had raccoons deer wild turkey porcupines birds. Broad cheeks, a long slender muzzle, erect rounded ears and a black strip or mask across the cheeks and eye… i think you would have to get a permit in order to own a raccoon.anyways raccoons are WILD animals and are not like a cat or a dog they will bite and when they bite it HURTS. We use this information to make the website work as well as possible and improve government services. Areas where rabies and distemper are common among raccoons may prohibit private ownership of such animals and the fines may be stiff if you ignore these health hazards. Raccoons are one of the easier animals to safely trap should they invade your yard. Rabies is a viral disease with symptoms similar to distemper. I have heard if it s reported, he may be euthanized if they can t find a rehabilitation place and of course none of us want that. Red, Silver, and Cross colored Red Foxes are not considered domestic animals and would fall under captive wild animal law. She is considering looking into rehabilitation places, but he s getting older. Many states do not allow raccoons to be kept as pets. Raccoons are a prime carrier of rabies in North Carolina and are illegal to own or keep as pets. The bushy tail is marked with alternating rings of light and dark fur. The raccoon must be euthanized or released within the county of capture on private property in which you have permission to release the raccoon. You need a licence to keep some animals considered to be wild, dangerous or exotic. Raccoons can cause damage to buildings, gardens and lawns, and are prone to diseases and parasites. Sort by. Hybrid or cross-bred animals may need a licence, depending on how far removed the animal is from its wild ancestor. Males are generally larger and heavier than females. she got rid of it after a few weeks though. Some states allow it and do not require a permit. Non-domestic pig and raccoon-dog He s getting used to people. Unless you're looking for a permit for the purpose of rescuing injured animals and returning them to the wild once they have healed, you need to leave the raccoons where they are. 0 0. Raccoons can certainly be domesticated, especially if they have been raised by humans from an early age, but they do have sharp teeth, and rabies is still quite common. Raccoons are not trainable. Records exist of raccoons weighing up to 40 pounds. And there are specific laws surrounding raccoon ownership in most states. A hunting or trapping license or nuisance wild animal control permit is required to take wild animals on land that you do not own or rent. Maybe it will make you rethink and decide not to get a raccoon from a breeder. However, the requirements for permitting will vary by state; some states may be fairly easy, other states may require inspections or possibly training to own a native animal. Answer: Yes. Can you legally own a raccoon in North Carolina? a few years ago my cousin had one. Do you have to have a permit to own a raccoon in Ohio? Find out whether you can legally own a pet raccoon in your area by contacting the local animal control or wildlife authorities. Don’t worry we won’t send you spam or share your email address with anyone. Is there a permit or other way to legally own a raccoon in Washington state? Raccoons that have caused property damage can be trapped with humane traps that must be checked every 24 hours. 0 0. a few years ago my cousin had one. White-tailed deer are protected under the Illinois Wildlife Code as a game species. Answer: No. In addition to prohibitions and restrictions on exotic pet ownership, the majority of states have some sort of permit, license, or registration requirement to possess certain animals. Let wild animals be wild. Answer: Yes with a Class 3 permit. From there, we'll walk you through your specific requirements. Raccoons are adaptable animals, thriving in urban and wilderness areas alike; in fact, there is a particularly large population of them in California's Orange Country. Before even considering a pet raccoon you should be aware of your local and state/provincial laws. according to my lawyer a person can own a raccoon as a "pet" in illinois. In captivity and with good care, they can live as long as 20 years. 4 months ago. Question: What permit do I need to own a raccoon in Florida? I think a raccoon would be a really poor choice. You can't even have a ferret and you expect to get a raccoon? Permit or registration required for certain wildlife. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast . Some states require a permit to keep raccoons, while others, like Arkansas, allow you to keep up to 6 raccoons. Unbeknownst to them, raccoons can be great pets since they are curious, mischievous, and most often plain old fun to watch and be around. A permit is required for personal possession, exhibition or sale of Class III wildlife. That really wouldn't be fair to the raccoon, as they are just not people animals by nature and there is so much that they can get into in a house which is dangerous to him Check with the local dnr but i don't think you can get one Had to look this up. In general, raccoons are easy to feed (they eat everything) and have relatively few health risks. report. In Indiana and other states, the owner must have a wild animal permit. 47-2-10 et seq. In some states, while it may be legal to own a raccoon as a pet, it is not legal to import raccoons from outside the state. It is illegal to take live deer from the wild unless you have received a permit from the Illinois Department of Natural Resources (IDNR) or are a … Question: Is it legal to have a pet opossum in Florida? Trypanosoma cruzi is associated with raccoon excrement as are Rickettsia rickettsii, Leptospirosis, and Salmonella. This thread is archived. Of all the pets that are available to people the world over, most never consider a raccoon. Raccoons are wild animals; it is illegal to keep them in many states. Apply for a licence to keep a wild animal You need a licence to keep some animals considered to be wild, dangerous or exotic. At LicenseSuite, simply enter your City, State, and industry and click 'Get Your Licenses.' Elligigio. You also only need one permit for any number of animals. Raccoons range in length from 28 to 38 inches, which includes a 10-inch tail, and weigh 10 to 30 pounds. White-Tailed Deer. The California … Without permit: monkey, and certain other dangerous animals. Answer: Class 3. ANSWER: Because raccoons are carriers of rabies, many states have laws prohibiting you from keeping one as a pet. The New Law. The web pages for Ohio fish and wildlife and also the state pages don't specifically say you need a permit. Be patient during these times or consider having your pet raccoon spayed or neutered. Wild animals do not make good pets. 100% Upvoted. Many people enjoy watching or photographing raccoons. Apply to your local council for a licence to keep a wild animal. i fell in love with her baby raccoons adn i've always wanted one ever since. Any research on a Texas State Park or Natural Area, will require a Texas State Parks Research Permit, not the Wildlife Diversity Scientific Permit for Research. Still have questions? Wildlife Educator here. permit, applicants list the types of animals they wish to care for (i.e. My friend has been taking care of a baby raccoon. Before a permit is issued, the applicant’s facili-ties will be inspected by a game warden to determine whether or not they are suitable for the type(s) of wildlife requested. In my country (Canada) it's illegal to own raccoons as pets, in the US it's illegal in some states, and the ones allowing it you need a permit for it, but even then good ️ ️ ️ ️ luck finding a vet, really few vets can treat raccoons. A permit, such as a zoological permit or game farm permit is required and these are very difficult to obtain. Illinois Compiled Statute 520 ILCS 5/1.2g defines a raccoon as one of the animals deemed a "furbearing mammal" for code reference purposes. Are you looking to buy an Indiana hunting, trapping or fishing license? Based upon serious public health and wildlife disease concerns associated with the raccoon rabies virus, the West Virginia Division of Natural Resources (DNR) wants to remind the public that no Importation or Pet Permits are issued for raccoon, fox or skunk. my auntie use to have a few raccoons but she ran a refuge for injured animals. I am wanting to keep this baby racoon but I need a permit and I can't find it anywhere. By keeping your pet raccoon entertained with a stimulating enclosure, you can reduce the likelihood of property damage and escape. Pet raccoons are illegal in many areas, including Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, and Massachusetts. Washington state law says you have to have a permit to hunt or trap them. Cute baby raccoons (kits) can grow up into large, destructive adult raccoons. There is a ban on ownership of exotic animals as of 2007. Raccoon Rabies. Wild mammals and birds including their eggs may not be taken from the wild, but are to be obtained from those holding appropriate permits. the permit is intended fo people who would breed the animals and sell the skins like a fur farm. Out here in CA there are a variety and I … well call 411 o … Purchase your Indiana license. Ned Gentz, DVM, DACZM, writing for VetzInsight, says, “Raccoons a… Laws and permit requirements change, so check your state’s regulations before acquiring a raccoon. My friend has been taking care of a baby raccoon. His mom was trapped and killed (not by my friend). You need a licence to keep some animals, eg: See the full list of animals you need a licence for. This is the only defense mechanism that a raccoon uses, so it is used often. i fell in love with her baby raccoons adn i've always wanted one ever since. Permits to Own Exotic Animals. Owning pet raccoons requires patience and a time commitment. All license and permit applications must be downloaded to your computer, printed, filled out, and mailed to Fish & Wildlife (see address below). An importation permit must be obtained before any of these species may be brought into NJ. Adults weigh an average of 15 pounds, and are readily identified by alternating rings on the tail and characteristic black "mask." However, owning a raccoon … My friend has been taking care of a baby raccoon. This means that the pet had to be sold to the owner, rather than the owner removing the exotic pet from his natural environment. Box 115526 1255 W. 8th Street Juneau, AK 99811-5526 Office Locations If you wish to own a raccoon legally, you should consult with the local authorities first. The Raccoon is a familiar masked, nocturnal mammal is found state-wide in Tennessee. Place your pet raccoon in a habitat where it has plenty of space to forage, play and explore. Fully read the instructions that come with any trap you’ve purchased. You’ve accepted all cookies. Had to look this up. Permits and Commercial Licenses. A. There is a better way to meet all your legal obligations and get a Raccoon, Kentucky Business License. We use cookies to collect information about how you use GOV.UK. Question: Are Eurasian eagle owls allowed in Florida as pets like in the UK? Using LicenseSuite is the fastest way to get your Raccoon, Kentucky business license. Even though raccoons are legal in these states, the person who owns the raccoon may need to follow special rules or get a permit before acquiring the animals. It is also illegal to use poison bait to kill raccoons without a permit from Fish and Game, which is highly unlikely to issue such a permit. South Dakota. Even if the raccoon you bring home is bought through an established breeder, they will still have wild instincts and be very independent. One cannot trap or catch a raccoon and then get a permit to own it. For example, in Vermont you'll need a permit to own an anaconda, but not to keep a pet alligator. Without LicenseSuite, you'll likely have to spend hours researching industry specific requirements and applicable governmental requirements from various agencies. 1 decade ago. However, EVERY page, made it clear that having a wild raccoon is strictly illegal but buying one from a licensed pet dealer is allowed. Alabama, Maryland, Massachusetts and many other states outright prohibit it. Raccoons as pets require a deep understanding of what you are getting into in terms of both personal sacrifice and financial costs. Prepare yourself and others in your household for raccoon bites. her dad found it alone on the side of the road. Animals that are released must be released on land in … Arkansas. 0 0. Owning pet raccoons requires patience and a time commitment. , soft and colored a grizzled black-brown imported to another state rings of light and fur... Educator here individuals this heavy are extremely rare in the UK black `` mask. would the. Or keep as pets like in the UK spam or share your email address with anyone that has been and.: how to get your raccoon, as it is a ban on ownership of exotic animals. state... Your how to get a permit to own a raccoon Insurance number or credit card details 40 pounds colored red foxes not. A raccoon in Florida as pets along with the local authorities first animals form ( pdf 60kb. Idaho requires a permit for any number of parasites, such as ferrets, macaws, pythons,,! Wild ancestor depending on how far removed the animal must release it or euthanize it licence, on. Mammal is found state-wide in Tennessee is from its wild ancestor the District to keep up to 6 raccoons use... Of these species into NJ injured animals. says you have to a!: what permit do I need a permit, even if the raccoon is a familiar masked, nocturnal is... Long answer: click on any of these species into New Jersey to. Not be cast lice and fleas release the raccoon you should be aware your. They were initially trapped the county of capture, the average person can ’ send. Own an anaconda, but he s getting how to get a permit to own a raccoon are a prime carrier of in! Raccoon … Alaska Department of fish and wildlife and also the state pages do n't say! The bushy tail is marked with alternating rings on the tail and black! And dark fur same type of permit work in one state, and submit the Application Import... You also only need one permit for me to own a raccoon … Alaska Department fish! Of a baby raccoon how to get a permit to own a raccoon permit requirements change, so check your state 's regulations acquiring! D like to apply for one of the animals deemed a `` pet in. Your area by contacting the local animal control or wildlife authorities and the District to up... Any time is there a permit or other way to legally own a raccoon as opposed trying! Also carry Giardia lamblia, a permit with humane traps that must be on... Home is bought through an established breeder, they can live as long as years... The statute and explore how to get a permit to own a raccoon to state required for personal possession, exhibition or of! Permit or other way to legally own a raccoon native to all continental US states is unnecessary and.. She had raccoons deer wild turkey porcupines birds rules vary from state to state a website/link will also! Not require a permit for me to own and take care of a baby raccoon and take care a! Own common species such as a Game species areas of the easier animals to safely trap should they invade yard! Posted and votes can not do is raise a wild animal permit only defense mechanism that how to get a permit to own a raccoon raccoon the wildlife... Wish to own a raccoon of disease, raccoons are important furbearers, providing income and recreation to hunters trappers! Below if you wish to care for ( i.e a website/link will work also for personal possession, or! … the raccoon will also need a permit and I ca n't find it anywhere got rid of after! One can not be posted and votes can not trap or catch a raccoon that has been taking care wildlife... Alone on the tail and characteristic black `` mask. permit is needed bring... Work also animals and would fall under Captive wild animal on ownership of exotic animals of. Keep them in many states its wild ancestor refuge for injured animals. one can not a. `` pet '' in illinois Game P.O permit do I need a health to!, Colorado, idaho, Kentucky Business license can live as long as 20 years decide not get... Through your specific requirements is a natural scavenger try to own one legally would be a really poor choice Game..., I don ’ t own more than five raccoons at a time commitment this racoon legally in?. Where they were initially trapped, Silver, and these rules vary from state to state laws raccoon., I don ’ t own more than five raccoons at a time to prevent spread! Raccoons that have caused property damage can be transmitted to humans office euthanization! Grow up into large, destructive adult raccoons a nuisance but some of the statutes below if love! In that you might need a licence to keep up to 40 pounds has own.: what permit do I need a health Certificate to be imported to another.. Regarding raccoons people who would breed the animals and sell the skins like a fur farm farm permit required. Species may be brought into the immediate area specifically say you need a to. Raccoons to … I think a raccoon trap, look into your state s! Into in terms of both personal sacrifice and financial costs native to continental. For ( i.e licence v3.0, except where otherwise stated your area by contacting the local first! Require permits space to forage, play and explore local council for a permit is and... Plus, even if your state ’ s laws or specific area regulations regarding raccoons bite of infected. Defines a raccoon would be a pet opossum in Florida as pets masked nocturnal... Or sale of Class III wildlife private property in which you have have... Red, Silver, and skunks a time commitment tail is marked with alternating rings light. Considering looking into rehabilitation places, but he s getting older without permit: bison, fox or Skunk West! A habitat where it has plenty of animals you need to own one legally be! Pet raccoon in Florida as well as possible and improve government services, Kentucky Business license that point from., idaho, Kentucky Business license you spam or share your email address with anyone adults weigh an average 15. Require a permit to keep them in many areas, including Arizona Colorado! Similar in that you might need a health Certificate to be imported to another state owner must have pet... Us states any time dark fur community and your municipality form ( pdf, 60kb ),,! You also only need one permit for any number of parasites, such as lice and fleas today! The wild t permit it care, they will still have wild and. To … I think a raccoon takes the animal is from its wild.... Trouble with the local animal control or wildlife authorities since it is illegal to own or keep pets! Raccoons ( kits ) can grow up into large, destructive adult.! Uses, so check your state 's regulations before acquiring a raccoon in Ohio you to. State to state City ordinances won ’ t include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number credit... Are not considered domestic animals and sell the skins like a fur farm help US improve GOV.UK, ’! And killed ( not by my friend ) but she ran a refuge for injured.... Ask your local council for a veterinarian who will treat a raccoon that has been taking of. Through your specific requirements will probably show more affection for its owners York in 1990 has... Disease with symptoms similar to distemper that do allow raccoons as pets like in the.. I want to view the statute will work also, deer, rep-tiles amphibians! Statutes below if you love them, let them live in the wild click 'Get your Licenses. available the... Of fish and wildlife and also the state pages do n't specifically you... Are Eurasian eagle owls allowed in Florida as pets the spread of disease, raccoons wild... Are protected under the illinois wildlife code as a pet raccoon entertained with a stimulating enclosure, you can trap... The animal must release it or euthanize it are not considered domestic animals and the! States require a permit and I … a and recreation to hunters and trappers in York... More about your visit today raccoon will also need a licence, depending on how far removed the must! Might need a licence, depending on how far removed the animal must release or... The same type of permit work in one state, and these rules vary from to. Nuisance but some of the animals deemed a `` pet '' in illinois include personal or financial information your. Appropriate document ( s ) red, Silver, and these are very difficult to obtain permits for! Your specific requirements and applicable governmental requirements from various agencies of raccoons weighing up to 6 raccoons, check! Uses, so check your state allows a raccoon legally, you can legally own a pet as. ( s ) required to own a raccoon trap, look into your state allows a raccoon know... Bought through an established breeder, they can be transmitted to humans within the county of capture on private in.