/ 13.6-108.5 Nm) 4.5 out of 5 stars 2,933. This video describes the methods to install spark plugs: Using a torque wrench and using installation angles Confirm that the thread reach of the spark plug is the right one for your engine. However, if you find yourself in a tight situation without a torque wrench, proceed with caution. $24.87 $ 24. The first time I used a torque wrench on my bikes spark plugs I got a big surprise. Remove the dirt at the gasket seal of the cylinder head. 1/2" 28-210 N.M Adjustable Torque Wrench Spark Plug Wrench Car Repair Tools. Other options New and used from $23.63. Examples of bad spark plug wrench usage: Spark plug is inserted at an angle during installation: Excessive tightening torque: Spark plug wrench slipped or used at an angle: Do not use the wrench at first. 9:09. plugs slowly you can actually feel the washer as it flattens out. PLEASE NOTE: Torque recommendations are for spark plugs with new gaskets. 5.0 out of 5 stars. Over tightening can cause damage to the threads in the cylinder head and the threads of the spark plug, stress the spark plugs internal seal, or fracture the spark plugs insulator. EPAuto 3/8-Inch Drive Click Torque Wrench (10-80 ft.-lb. 1/2-2/3 turn on plugs with a gasket. Tusk Ratcheting Spark Plug Wrench Ratchet 13/16" Motorcycle Dirt Bike Atv Enduro. An easy way to tightening plugs is this: Turn all the plugs until they are pinched by hand. £6.95. #5 Currahee , Apr 14, 2017 E. eldudereno New member. I got scared about 125 inch pounds and stopped. I've never used a torque wrench for spark plugs but i'm old .Make sure you use one that is accurate and be sure to put a little high temperature anti seize on the spark plug threads. 12 foot pounds equals 144 inch pounds so I grabbed my super accurate Snap On Dial Torque wrench and got busy. FAST & FREE. SPARK PLUG REMOVAL TOOL 10mm / 14mm TOMMY BAR WRENCH SPANNER & SOCKETS (CT4514) 5 out of 5 stars (9) 9 product ratings - SPARK PLUG REMOVAL TOOL 10mm / 14mm TOMMY BAR WRENCH SPANNER & SOCKETS (CT4514) Its usually sold at the check out counter at most auto parts stores in little $1 packets. C $83.47. This is not as much of a concern with the half or 16th turn method. AutOdometer 63,229 views. My problem is that when I put them in and tightened them by hand until it tightened up I still had to do about a full rotation on the wrench handle before I reached the proper torque. Stretching of the spark plug from overtightening can cause different heat ranges in the plug and possibly cause misfiring. Most spark plugs (flat seat and gasket type) have a 'crush washer' or gasket which becomes compressed during the initial installation, this allows around half a turn of the plug to be made once contact with the cylinder head has been made by the gasket. Brand New. Then tighten 180 degrees with a spark plug socket. I wanted some input from other people that have done it because I am unsure about the tightness. Insufficient torque can result in a plug blowing right out of the cylinder head, taking the threads with it. Just turn them until they are tight, same as any nut or bolt. Spark plugs cannot be over-tightened in order to avoid damage to the threads in the spark plug holes. Reply. For those installing plugs without a torque wrench, let me be a little more specific: New plugs come with a "crush" washer that is designed to flatten out upon installation. Without a Torque Wrench: If a torque wrench is unavailable, finger tighten the spark plug, then use a plug wrench to tighten. I just replaced my spark plugs today and used a torque wrench. Tighten the spark plug finger-tight until the gasket reaches the cylinder head, then tighten about ½ – ⅔ turn more with a spark plug wrench. Some spark plug brands do not need an often recommend against anti-seize, such as NGK, especially if installing with a torque wrench as the anti seize makes the plug threads too slippery and causes over torque condition. I have a factory service manual and it says to put Loctite anti seize on the plug threads and torque plugs to 12 -18 foot pounds. PLEASE NOTE: Torque recommendations are for spark plugs with new gaskets. 1/12-1/8 turn on plugs with a tapered seat. 1/4 turn on plugs with a gasket. A person just has to develop a feel for what is tight . A torque wrench is nice to have, but kinda costly. If you used anti-seize compound on the plug threads, reduce torque … Normally a small torque wrench is recommended for tightening. I have installed spark plugs for 45 years and have never used a torque wrench . Without a Torque Wrench: If a torque wrench is unavailable, finger tighten the spark plug, then use a plug wrench to tighten. Conversely, they cannot be loosely tightened since otherwise the combustion chamber would not be properly sealed, and to allow proper electrical and heat conduction to the cylinder head. I have scoured the internet for a torque wrench to use, but I haven't found anything I'm confident about. Tighten to recommended torque. A taper seat spark plug will get tight 1/6 of a turn after initial tightening . If someone in the know can quote the torque … Amazon's Choice for torque wrench spark plug. 1/16 turn on plugs with a tapered seat. All along I had been over torquing the plugs. 87. If using anti-seize compound, use sparingly and reduce torque by 30%. If a torque wrench is unavailable then you must take care not to overtighten spark plugs - particularly if refitting after cleaning. After you hand tighten the plugs, begin tuning the plug wrench slowly. Installing Spark Plugs – Lawn & Garden Equipment. I THINK BEFORE MAYBE PEOPLE WERE OVERTIGHTENING SO THEY LOWERED IT BY 3 POUNDS SINCE PEOPLE WILL OVERTIGHTEN AND HOPEFULLY THEY WANT GO ABOVE 15 POUNDS OR BEYOND BRAKING SPARK PLUG. lb) If a torque wrench is not available when you are fitting a new spark plug, a good estimate of the correct torque is 1/4 turn to 1/2 turn past finger tight. Spark Plug Tightening Torque Advanced Garage ... How to change Spark Plugs With or Without Torque Wrench - Duration: 9:09. Do Spark Plugs Need To Be Torqued – Installing Spark Plugs Without A Torque Wrench While it is possible to install spark plugs without the use of a torque wrench, it is not recommended. Free shipping. I have never used a torque wrench on a spark plug in my life and thats main dealer training for you. Also, you can use a torque wrench to tighten the spark … FREE Shipping on orders over $25 shipped by Amazon. I would say 'yeah' get a torque wrench. Based on a tip from the other site I duct taped together the spark plug wrench to a 5/8" socket and then taped to a 10" extension. This should be good enough . Only caveat is that looks like it might be 1/2" drive wrench and spark plug sockets are 3/8 drive. Brand New. Tightening the spark plugs to the proper torque value is an important consideration. Putting a torque wrench to it isn’t going to do anything but make you spend money on a torque wrench that, unless you do things like change your own clutches, isn’t very useful for anything but spark plugs (which will irritate you when you have to torque down an axle nut and have to buy a higher-torque … A torque wrench might be a good idea for next time Click to expand... always change spark plugs or on diesels the glow plugs when engine has been run for at least 30 minutes until fan comes on or radiator is nice and hot hotter the better that plug should come out easy then,, its all a dealer will do apart from use a impact gun,, but always do them hot to stand a chance of not damaging stuff. But if it has the proper range of torque it should be fine. Plug Torque Settings It is essential to tighten a spark plug to the specified turning angle or torque setting as torque directly impacts a spark plugs ability to remove heat from the combustion chamber. I used 22ft/lbs which is close to 30nm. I'm also a US peasant, so I'd prefer to avoid paying customs if I can. Too much torque distorts the plug. Always use a torque wrench and the manufacturer's spark plug torque specs. Start by installing the spark plug by hand. Buy It Now. The tapered seat spark plugs must be installed by the use of the hands until finger-tight.Use an extra 1/16th turn with a spark plug wrench to make sure your spark plug is tightened to the manufacture's recommendation. FOOT POUND WITH SUCH LOW NUMBERS LIKE 15 POUNDS AND 12 POUNDS NOT ACCURATE UNLESS YOU HAVE A VERY EXPENSIVE DIGITAL ALARM CALIBRATED TORQUE WRENCH. BERGEN Tubular Box Spanners & Torque Bar Wrench Set 8mm- 19mm Spark Plug Spanner. Apr 29, 2009 #5 STypeD said: Joined Apr 30, 2008 Messages 1,611 Reaction score 0 Points 0 Location Newcastle, up North. If you have a friend with one, borrow it to get used to how tight to get the plug. If you tighten the (cold!) Click & Collect. Use a hex-type wrench that is less likely to slip. And make sure you do it on a fully cold engine because of the aluminum head. Top Rated Seller Top Rated Seller. Get it as soon as Tue, Nov 24. you have to use an inch pound torque wrench. I've never believed the spark plug torque numbers quoted in books. No dropped plugs (and they are waaay down in there), the tool didn't become separated, easy peasy. Most people can't judge the proper torque spec and probably don't even know the proper torque spec. Its actually around 25ft.lbs for our spark plugs, I torque them a little over 20. From China. If using anti-seize compound, use sparingly and reduce torque by 30%. The first time I decided , "I should really do this properly", and used a torque wrench on some new plugs I very quickly thought, "you've gotta be kidding", as I felt it getting up to where I'd normally stop, and the torque wrench was telling me to keep going as I was miles away. What torque wrenches that don't require financing have you used to change the spark plugs?